old boat

emtmike

Seaman Apprentice
When we moved into the house we live in now, about 10 years ago, the previous owner had left a old boat up in the woods. I guess the police would not let him take it in the police car when they hauled him off. Being as he is still in jail, and will be for a long time, I am guessing he won't want it. My question is, what am I going to do with it? It is a Starcraft and it looks about 16 feet. From what you can see in these pics do you think it's worth a restore?

Attachments

• new boat 006.JPG
    new boat 006.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • new boat 007.JPG
    new boat 007.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • new boat 008.JPG
    new boat 008.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 0

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: old boat

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Id say after 10 years you can lay claim to it and do with it what you like.
As to the restore.. almost all boats are worth something. If you want to do then go for it.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would be more concerned about putting money into it without having the title. Legally, the PO could come back and recover the property at any time.
You may be able to get a salvaged vehicle title for it, depending on where you live and how stringent they are in granting salvage titles to 'found' property.

emtmike

Seaman Apprentice

Here in Maine there is no title for a boat. This thing doesn't even have a hull ID. We purchased the house from the bank as a repo and we were told all that was on the property was ours. I also know the guy who lived here has been invited to be involved with the criminal justice system for many years to come. What are these boats made of? Could I just scrap it? Maybe I will try Craig's list and get $100 for it.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If a boat that size and vintage goes title-less in your locale then yes you can easily sell it for a little money, maybe the $100 you mentioned.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure what the price of aluminum is these days, but I personally wouldn't scrap it. You could probably have a nice little fishing boat without having to invest too much. Heck, even if you just clean it up and paint it, you could probably turn around and sell it for a couple of hundred.

emtmike

Seaman Apprentice

OK I have made the decision to give this thing a new chance at life. It is a Starcraft. You can see the name under one of the many coats of paint. I plan on getting a new flapper wheel for my grinder and stripping it down. I am sure I will have lots of questions. In fact I have one already. I am not wise to boat terminology yet but the top sides of the boat has very rotted wood covering the edges of the boat. I have removed a lot of them and will need to replace them. What would be the best wood to use? Under the boat I found a Johnson JW-10 motor. It turns over but is in bad shape. Not sure if I will rebuild that or just look for another. I will Wait to see how the boat turns out first.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

The motor running in good (rebuilt) condition is worth more than the boat.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet a little bit of money and work will have the motor running again, from what I understand, Johnsons are hard to kill.