How to test a stator

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to test a stator

its testable with an ohm meter however I would prefer using a DVM with a DVA attacment or a peak reading meter and check for output voltage rather than resistance.

Profittakr

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt - can you provide more detailed instructions on how to test the stator with meter. My meter only has ohms, diode testing, volts.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

then your pretty much stuck with resistance tests. not as reliable or efficient as peak voltage output tests.
what are we testing the stator on and why?

Profittakr

Seaman Apprentice

I am trying to diagnose a tachometer that is not working right and the Yamaha factory tech told me that it was a problem with the stator. I had been reading in this site and thought it was the rectifier but the tech said that was not the problem; that it was the stator that was the problem. The engine runs like a top but the tach registers innacurate values; about 2700 at WOT and 1200 at idle but the engine is not ideling that fast. Basically tach registers 1/2 at WOT and about double at idle. The tach increases and decreases smoothly in between and not erratic but clearly not accurate. The tach setting are set correctly and I have also tried on a brand new tach with the same results.

The battery also charges but I did 'catch' the volt meter at over 16v on one occasion but not since.

I feel like I have hijacked this thread. Should I repost?