85 johnson 70 stalls at high rpm

klewis77

Recruit
My wife recently ran our 70 johnson out of gas while on the water. It worked ok 1full tank later but now wants to stall at higher rpm's. Replaced the fuel line and primer bulb from tank but no help. Cleaned fuel filter also no help. Whats odd is when it starts to die my buddy would pump the primer bulb a few times and it takes right off up to wot but only for a few minutes then begins to stall again. Just had impeller replaced so I dont believe it's running hot? IS this possibly the fuel pump? Also I think the vro has been disabled but not sure. Always mix gas in tank at fil up. Any ideas??? Sorry so long!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85 johnson 70 stalls at high rpm

If squeezing the primer bulb cures the problem when it happens, I would think you need a new fuel pump.

klewis77

Recruit

Thanks...I just need to find out if it's a vro or mounted pump now. dont think it still has the vro because i have never had to put oil in any other tank in the 3 years I have owned it. Might not even be a vro model...just has a vro sticker on the engine cover. Guy I bought it from just said to mix the oil and gas at fill up. Sorry but I'm a boat maintenence newby. Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Go to the johnson web site, find your engine and compare the parts breakdown pictures with what you have. It is possiable to eliminate the oil side of a VRO system and still use the fuel side. May be able to replace the VRO pump with a regular fuel pump, since you are premixing your fuel anyway.