250ETXD - Limited to 1800 RPM under load?

jeff6645

Cadet
Need some help please!

My apologies in advance for the long post, just wanted to give details and what I have tried...

I have searched and read everything I can find on RPM limited and tried some of the suggestions, but still stuck @ 1800 RPM. I went to a local repair shop today and left there wondering if it is fixable ... they said it could be anything from a broken wire to a faulty $3000 computer :mad:... they said they would have to take it to the river and start trouble shooting it @ $90 hr. They made a comment about the motor being 20 years old "The bigger motors aren't made to last that long; if it was a 10 or 20 maybe 20 years" is this true?

OK here are the details:

- Model: 250ETXD
- Ran fine last time out
- Setup for 6 months
- Starts & idles like normal

The problems and what I have tried to fix them:

PROBLEM #1: When put in gear the motor revs up quickly to 1800 RPM and that's it.
- Original thought it was the oil injector, found and repaired a broken wire. This cleared the low oil alarm... off to the boat launch still 1800 RPM max.
- Found some broken wires (pinched under cowing) - repaired, also installed 6 new plugs and changed fuel filter... off to boat launch again, still stuck at 1800 RPM max.
- Clean carburetors with seafoam as instructed - off to boat launch yet again, still stuck at 1800 RPM.

PROBLEM #2 (may be related to #1): After 4 - 5 minutes get an audible over heat alarm
- No alarms showing on gauges (temp gage must not work or not hooked up). Found alarm cause by un-plugging temp sensors one at a time. One on port side causing alarm, swapped port and starboard sensor around and the alarm moved to starboard side. Not sure what to make of this.. bad sensor or the one is more sensitive to heat.

Problem #3: Found a wire unplugged, not sure what it is for... black & red and looks like it was hooked to green wire.. see photo.

sg0qqe.jpg

Looking forward to your suggestions,
Jeff6645

jeff6645

Cadet
Re: 250ETXD - Limited to 1800 RPM under load?

No takers? :confused:

Should I split each question up and place separate post?

Last edited:

jeff6645

Cadet
Re: 250ETXD - Limited to 1800 RPM under load?

Talked with a guy at another Yamaha shop today, he was very helpful... he said sounds like the some of the high speed jet in the carburetors are blocked.

He gave me some pointers on what to try, we will see what if it helps.