Which motor should I choose?

fenwick

Seaman Apprentice
I have an opportunity to repower my boat with one of three different motors.I currently have a 1991 40hp Evinrude(tiller) on my boat.The max.hp is 60 on the boat, so I'm looking at a 1990 Evinrude,1993 Yamaha and a 1993 Mercury,they all are 60hp.The boat I have is a 1991 so it wouldn't make economical sense to put a new motor on it, and besides my budget is $2000.I do alot of backtrolling for walleye so I would like the motor to be smooth as well as reliable.I would appreciate any input to help with my decision.Thank You!

Fenwick

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which motor should I choose?

For a tiller boat I wouldn't want any more than 40HP.

What is wrong with your 40 'Rude? That is probably the engine I would have selected in the first place.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with JB as well. 60's might put out a bit too much oomph for backtrolling effectively. Most people I know who do a lot of back trolling do so with an 8 or 9.9 kicker.

On a side note - Lund is doing 275hp tillers now. Apparently they're popular with walleye guides because it frees up so much floor space. Even with power steering and trim it sounds like death to me.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

For a tiller boat I wouldn't want any more than 40HP.

What is wrong with your 40 'Rude? That is probably the engine I would have selected in the first place.

Another wholehearted agreement :cool:

fenwick

Seaman Apprentice

I value all your input,and I do like the Evinrude 40hp.My problem is I have 3 boys who like to fish with me and they all are growing up.(I'm 6'2",215).They aren't getting any smaller.With all of us in the boat,it has to work hard to move us around the lake.With just two people in the boat its great,not so with all of us.
Fenwick

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

As always, pick the one in the best condition that also has good dealer support near by.

We use tillers up to 300HP here, 200s are the most common. You can even get power assisted steering on a tiller if you want, it takes all the torque steer out.