Water Leak

78_z28

Cadet
Hello,

I have noticed a water leak between my stern drive and my motor, it only leaks when running. It started with a drip and now has a stream. It is a 4 cylinder GM with a OMC drive. I have the manual here and have checked the cooling system by tracing the lines. No apparent leaks. Is their other places it could be coming in from and driping out the flywheel inspection plate?

Thanks Jim

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water Leak

Is their other places it could be coming in from and driping out the flywheel inspection plate?

Ayuh,... There are Coreplugs behind the Flywheel, which would be under pressure when running...

coojoeks

Recruit

i second the Core plugs, check this and get it fixed fast!!! i lost a core plug on my 77 formula 5.8L and burned up the exhaust getting her back to shore (guess i shoulda done a better pre-run inspection) it truely is amazing how a 94cent part can cause more than $200 damage in less than 5 minutes, what happens is the leak reduces cooling water to your engine and ulitmately your exhaust, it can ruin an engine and could sink a boat if you dont catch it in time. i had water coming in faster than the bilge pump could pump it out while the motor was running.

78_z28

Cadet

Great,

Core plugs, now the big question can you get at them without removing the engine? or do u have to remove the stern drive? or can they be replaced without pulling anything?

Thanks Jim

zbnutcase

Commander

If it is the one behind the flywheel you WILL have to remove engine to fix it! 'nutcase

78_z28

Cadet

Thanks,

But where is the other one located? I have gone throught the repair manual and it does not mention anything about where these are located. It does not even mention them at all.

Thanks Jim