Nav Lights - what do you think?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have wired up my boat with LED bow lights and a back-up light from Advance Auto parts mounted on a piece of PVC pipe (a $4 alternative to the $35 stern lights on the internet). LEDs can be seen for 1mi and i have two of them; they should keep me legal.

Let me know what you think!

bowlightwiring2.jpg

bowlights.jpg

bow-sternlight.jpg

bow-stern2.jpg

Also, I have a question. that stern light has to be bright enough to be seen for 2 miles. it's super bright! Does anyone know if you have to keep that light on while you're anchored? I fear it will have an adverse effect on cat fishing if it has to be on.

here's a pic of boat in the day time:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/WoW_Zoth/BOAT/DSC01816.jpg

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Nav Lights - what do you think?

I call it an anchor light and yes it has to be on all night, you want other boaters to put their MerCruiser where the sun don't shine ?
Please take night time safety and nav lighting seriously.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your input; I hope you don't think I'm not taking nighttime boat safety seriousl. :confused:

Splat

Lieutenant

The anchor light has to be visable 360 degrees.

Also those led's, for nav lights to be legal, they must be coast guard approved. I can guarantee those are not. Can they be seen, yes, however if involved in a nighttime accident you may be faced with a lawsuit, or someone injured.

Personally I would have just sprung for the correct equipment. There are Combo bow nav lights on sale here in the Iboats store that can b had for less than $15.

Just my opinion.

Bill

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also those led's, for nav lights to be legal, they must be coast guard approved. I can guarantee those are not. Can they be seen, yes, however if involved in a nighttime accident you may be faced with a lawsuit, or someone injured.

These are legal under my state's code. In fact, I'm going to have a DNR officer take a look before I take it out.

I'll probably still get the bi-color lantern, but I can foresee batteries going dead, or leaving the thing on, or forgetting to turn it on altogether.

thanks for your opinion

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Being able to see a light at a distance is one thing. Being seen is an entirely different issue.

The first two times I looked at the pictures I didn't even see the nav lights. The lights must also be visible from the sides of the boat. Can you see them if standing on the side? Throw in a decent chop where the boat is bouncing up and down and I doubt you?ll be seen much over 50? away

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sigh, I just spent $20 on a stupid light. But you're right, if some moron crashes into my boat in the middle of the night and I don't have the Coast Guard's stamp of approval I'll be the one liable, notwithstanding my compliance with state laws. :mad:

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took this off another site, on which a "spirited debate" ensued.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Inland Rules specify that any vessel under 50 meters (164.1') at anchor must exhibit a white 360-degree light where it can be seen and have a two-mile visibility in most situations. Vessels less than 7 meters (23.9') must display anchor lights when anchored in or near a narrow channel, fairway, or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate.

A 360-degree white all-around light with two-mile visibility fulfills this requirement. Wire gauge and length of wiring, as well as battery condition, can affect a light's performance. Follow manufacturer's instructions to ensure compliance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations.
From a Boat US site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The nutshell, the Coast Guard issues the regulation (2 nm and 360 deg.) It does not "approve" any fixture.
The debate happened when LED's were installed in an anchor lite.

Navigation Regs-
Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5?, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225?, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135?, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360?) white light (should also have sidelights).

Splat

Lieutenant

I think you made the right choice. And as a fellow boater that may one day boat the same waters as you... I thank you.

Bill

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
UPDATE: Nav Lights - what do you think?

UPDATE: Nav Lights - what do you think?

Thought I'd update everyone on my nav light situation.

I took the boat out tonite, welling with pride in knowing that my new $20 Seadog navlight I got will keep me legal and safe.

. . . unfortunately the damned thing quit working after about 30 seconds, but my 99-cent LEDs were still going strong!

Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for . . . oh wait, nm. ;)