6hp 1965 Evinrude

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got an old 6hp evinrude lately.The pistons were froze and had not been ran in years.I got everything freed up and turning,just to breath a little life back into it. got it running.I bought a new carb kit for it,but I can't set the carb float no matter what I do.I know to set the float even with the carb body and all that,but nothing seems to work.It runs if you don't sqeeze the bulb to much or it will over flow,so I use that as the choke to get it started.It will run perfectly and even idle pretty good, but very tricky.I wouldn't trust it out on the water.I have come to the conclusion that the needle does not match the seat.I am going to buy another kit ,a different on I hope and try again.Has any of you guys run into this?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 6hp 1965 Evinrude

If you pump the primer and fuel runs out of the carb, the needle is not seating in the seat. Make sure that there is not a piece of trash between the needle and seat, woun't take a very big piece of trash to keep it open. One way to check is to hold the card in upright position and blow into the fuel inlet by mouth, you should not be able to blow through it. Turn carb upside down and repeat, you should be able to blow through it.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No way.I even took my old seat and took a round jewelers fine and tried to reshape it ,I will not seat.I took the old float and sanded a slope on it to try and get more travel.No luck

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Should be no need to sand the float, it should work as manufactured. I don't have a parts book in front of me but does your engine have a solid needle or a rubber tipped one? Speaking from experience, do you have the float in right side up?

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Daviet,it has the rubber tip on it.How ever the bore in the seat looks larger than the needle can fit.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

1) Get a new float. needle and seat.
2) install and adjust.
3)Blow test - that is.......Turn carb upside down and blow air into it. Air should not pass the valve.

If it checks out, install the carb.

Now.....People misunderstand how hard to pump the bulb. I did the same thing. You only pump it to firm up not to harden.

Fuel passes through the seat into the carb bowl. The float ruses to stop the flow. Fuel pump puts out about 5Lbs pressure. Hand can squeeze much harder forcing fuel past the Perfectly good Valve and flooding the carb.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bowl won't go on upside down,But I do have a book.I have never seen a simple engine like this so hard to set.I am not a novice at this.My experta is rotax aircraft engines basicly snowmobile engines,but this thing has got me.Im telling you the needle and seat will not shut the gas off.No matter want position you set it in.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Once I got a carb kit with the wrong needle and seat. What is the number of the kit you got, what brand. I didn't mean the bowel upside down I meant the float.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL, I know what you ment and I thank all of you for your input.I got the kit from an omc dealer.I don't have the number as I threw the bag away.But it was the real deal.It replaced the old cork float system.There is not much travel in the bowl with the float.When I could not get the new kit to work,I started playing with the old set.Some one had already updated it.Im going to tell yall I spent a week after work playing with this thing.Since I had an old set to play with I did every common since thig you can do with it.The new set don't work and niether will the old one.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

As stated, there is no reason for you to be trying to reshape stock parts for your carb rebuild. If the carb is still flooding with a properly adjusted float, the seat and/or needle valve have not been installed properly.

Now that you have ruined the float and valve seat by fooling with them, its time to go buy another carb kit. You might want to get a factory service manual too, so that you can follow rebuild instructions properly.

The good news is that you have a great little engine. As long has it is mechanically sound, it will give you many years of very inexpensive service, once you get it set up.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was the old set I was fooling with.THe new one is still in tact and won't work either!