issues with oil usage

sleets

Recruit
My 1994 Johnson 150hp Fast Strike is using excessive oil. I used 1.25 gallons of oil on approx 35 gallons of gas. Any help would be appreciated.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: issues with oil usage

OMS pump failing maybe ???
The good thing is it is using more than enough and not giving you lubrication problems at present. Make sure the tank or oil lines are not leaking into the bilge somewhere though. If not change pump or convert to premix.

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your VRO pump probably needs a rebuild, probably a hole in the diaphragm. There are some test in the OEM manual. Your BRP dealer will have a listing of the rebuildable pump kits.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

If I had a motor w/ oil injection I think I'd still mix it myself. With what outboards cost I couldn't bring myself to trust that pump!!
JMHO,
Mike

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Don't know for sure but I don't think the oil side is re-buildable.

sleets

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I pumped up the gas bulb and started to see gas leak from the top middle of the vro pump. Looks like it is on the gas side. I think I may need to replace the whole pump.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the help. I pumped up the gas bulb and started to see gas leak from the top middle of the vro pump. Looks like it is on the gas side. I think I may need to replace the whole pump.

Options are new OMS pump or convert to premix. You will need 2 premix pumps as far as I know.