engine froze

tbirdkidd

Seaman
I just picked up an 1986 85hp Force outboard that has been sitting for 5 years but I cant get it to turn over. Could it be rusted the guy that gave it to said it ran when he stored it (outside). Any suggestions?

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: engine froze

Naw! Pull the head and see if the pistons are rusted to the cylinder wall.If the are I like to use marvel mystry oil to soak em.Just fill the cylinder and let it set.After a day or so tap them with a block of wood to see if they will move.Keep doing this till they do.You can break a ring doing this so be easy and she might free up.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Naw! Pull the head and see if the pistons are rusted to the cylinder wall.If the are I like to use marvel mystry oil to soak em.Just fill the cylinder and let it set.After a day or so tap them with a block of wood to see if they will move.Keep doing this till they do.You can break a ring doing this so be easy and she might free up.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You are in the wrong section for this motor.
Oil it up and see if you can get it to move. If not then I would convert it into a parts motor to benefit the unfortunate folk that still have force motors. Use the money towards another motor.

tbirdkidd

Seaman

Elbo
Took it apart and it is just rusted from improper winterizing, removed the cylinder rust and freed up the pistons. Now that it turns over should I go into the crank and replace rings and bearings. Also should I hone the cylinder wall they cleaned up with fine emery pretty nicely.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the bearings and crank journals are rusted also, it's junk.