motor bogs down at wot

i have a 1986 mercury 25 xd pull start tiller steer it starts easily most of the time but it bogs down at wot the warmer the engine gets the less the throttle will go with out bogging down .i replaced reed valves recently and that didnt do anything have carb rebuild kit coming tomorow .does anyone know whats wrong .oops i forgot it cranks and runs perfect on ear muffs

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: motor bogs down at wot

Either your high speed jets clogged up or fuel pump needs rebuilt.

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While it very easily could be a carb problem. You need to check both compression and ignition as well.
Check the ignition with a timing light, just look for steady bright flashes on both cylinders.
Never rev up a motor on the hose or in neutral, it must be in the water under load.
You can check it while on the trailer, just back it down into the water, warm it up, shift into gear and check at different rpm's.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you fully disassemble and thoroughly soak the carb, make sure every passage was squeaky clean, adjust float level properly, adjust the idle mixture in the water (if adjustable)?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i hate this motor saving for a yamaha

Mmm. Buying a new motor is one way to solve the problem, whether a Yamahoo or other brand motor. However, fixing your Merc should be easy and much less expensive if you follow the troubleshooting methods suggested above, as long as the compression on the motor is good. Keep at it using the good advice you get here on this forum. It has helped me solve some of my own frustrating problems in the past.

ok got new plugs coils wires fuel pump fuel lines and filter .got 80 psi on both cylinders oh and carb rebuild kit could it be the stator or switchbox not letting it rev over lower rpms