bearing buddies

petryshyn

Commander
They pry off. Little by little all around. I've seen some that screw in as well, but most press in.

hilltop

Recruit
bearing buddies

I just replaced my Leaf springs, I wanted to check the bearings but I have bearing buddies do they just pry off? :rolleyes:

D

DJ

Re: bearing buddies

JimmyKelly,<br /><br />It helps if you knock on the ends with a RUBBER hammer. Hit the ends down and try to get the bearing buddie to **** one way or another in the bore, then hit it the other way. Tenderness is needed here-not brute force.<br /><br />Most of the metal ones are pressed in, Some of the plastic ones, especially the oil types, screw in.

hilltop

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I've done it on cars not on a trailer they should come off with a pair of channel lock plyers :) :)

ehenry

Commander

They come off pretty easy. Had to beat mine off with an oak limb once due to being in the swamp without the tools needed.<br /><br />I do have a question about bearing buddies though. I've heard that your axle really needs to be set up for a bearing buddy in order for it to work properly. Meaning that there needs to be a channel in the center of the axle with openings at the midway point in between the bearings for the grease to come out. Is this true or is everyone just counting on the grease going throught the outter bearing to get to the inner bearing?

jamesk47187

Cadet

Thats a good question. when i bought my boat it was laying for two seasons, after using it all last season I decided to check the bearings. They were good and the bearing buddies still had plenty of grease. so I just cleaned and repacked them I usually hit them with grease every 3rd time out. :)

petryshyn

Commander

Hi efhenry<br /><br />The buddy will work with any tapered roller bearing hub that I've seen. The buddies job is to maintain a positive pressure in the hub. grease and air can easily pass between the inner and outer race along the rollers...<br /><br /> :)

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was wondering the same thing efhenry ... on my trailer (by tracker) there is a warning sticker stating Do not remove hub or warranty would be void,apply grease thru fitting behind wheel ...yutta yutta.. Well this is a real pain having to crawl under the trailer to grease the bearings. The warranty has long expired anyway,so I also have been wanting to install buddies,i reckon it's no problem then?