What to use for sealing cap to hull

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is everyone using to seal their cap to the hull? Originally mine had a double sided thick tape as the seal...:confused:

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What to use for sealing cap to hull

Thanks bigred, that's what I was thinking.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

5200 will require you cut through it in the event you ever need to remove the cap again..... pretty permanent. 4200 will also work and is easier to remove.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

5200 will require you cut through it in the event you ever need to remove the cap again..... pretty permanent. 4200 will also work and is easier to remove.

My bad Bob_VT...I'll defer to the expert. :)

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

4200? 5200? please be more specific need to buy some of this when i put my cap back on

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

3M? Marine Fast Cure 4200 Adhesive Sealant

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

aahh 3m 4200, Thank you, that sounds like a better option being it will not require cutting/grinding to remove cap again...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Some folks just use a quality construction adhesive like PL. Cheaper than 4200. Don't know how easy it is to separate down the road.

I see Bayliner used what appears to be a polyester based resin/filler to join the cap to the hull on my 1985 Capri.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

4200 Adhesive sealer, pretty stout but removable like a well made and applied caulking.

5200 permanent sealer. Apply this when the only way to get back trough it is to grind, cut or drill. Great product...

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like bayliner used 4200-ish stuff for mine. Didn't look like the cap had even been removed before, so it was original. Was still pliable, though, which was a little amazing to me. The previous owner seemed to have added a bead of silicon sealant to the seam, maybe to prevent water drips from sneaking through from waves splashing against the hull.

I plan to use a thin bead of PL to replace it (way cheaper than 4200 and a 50' bead really adds up). The rivets hold it in place, so the bead is apparently just to seal them together. Make sure to use alum rivets, as 'standard' rivets are steel and will rust out (assuming yours uses rivets).

tallcanadian

Captain

I used a good marine caulking. Ya just never know if you want to take her apart again.

redfury

Commander

whatever you use, avoid silicon caulk!

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel pretty confident that using 4200 will be a good choice after hearing all your great advice, thanks all...