Adding an hour meter

Well, dad's boat is diong great. Thanks for all the help to get it there! Now we want to add the hour meter. I have one sitting in the garage, just wondering where to wire it to. I was thinking of the coil posts. My dad wants it in the engine compartment, and that seems to be the easiest place to go to. Will this work, or should I put the wires elsewhere?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Adding an hour meter

Yes coil will work. However connect only the + wire of meter to + of coil. Ground the - to engine-NOT - side of coil. 'nutcase

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

+ terminal on the coil and a good ground is all you need.

Peter1950

Seaman Apprentice

I bought one at a garage sale for 25cents(!) and tried it and was fine. Mounted it on a bracket near the carburetor since I didn't really want another hole on the dash and how often do I really need to read the gauge. Wired it to the coil and ground as mentioned before. Any time the key is ON/engine running its going.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the success.

Check your wires to make sure they cant rub, wear or chafe on any moving parts. If a short happens, you may loose ignition.

You may want to add an inline fuse to protect the circuit.

Some boats use an oil pressure activated normally open switch to excite the hour meter, alternator or other accessories.