Fiberglass fuel tank repair/replacement?

WadeL

Recruit
Folks. Great info on this forum; I truly appreciate any advice or direction anyone has to share. I have a 28 foot Safari that has a built in 150 gallon fiberglass fuel tank. The resin used in the 1970's has began to fail, and my fuel looks like Oregon style black coffee. Can I re-fiberglass my tank, or am I better off setting in an aluminum tank? The fiberglass tank is built into the hull of the boat. If I am to go to aluminum, what is the thickness I should have of the aluminum sheeting? If I were to go to stainless, would it also be the same thickness? Thanks and be safe.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Fiberglass fuel tank repair/replacement?

Well... welcome to iboats!

Here are a few ideas....... I would NOT try to re-fiberglass the old tank. That would be more like a band aid and not last. An aluminum tank is a great idea and if you intend on manufacturing your own tank even better. I would make a tank that fits inside your old tank. Cut the top off the old one and slip in a new one using the old tank for support. Yes, you might have to sacrifice a gallon or two of capacity but I doubt that would hurt.

Now as a side note..... are you sure the resin is failing or is it the ethanol gas doing it's thing and cleaning the garbage out of the old tank. (Ethanol does have a cleaning benefit ;) )

Stainless steel will also work but either aluminum or stainless will have to be fairly thick due to the size. Most fuel tanks (including trucks and cars) are made with bends to make the metal stronger. As far as how thick..... with aluminum I would go 1/8th of an inch or close.

jonesg

Admiral

You can find bargain stainless and alum tanks on craigslist for $100, I got a new 50 gal alum tank with sender for $100 and I see them all the time.
Its always a good time to completely re-plumb too.

parrisw

Ensign

I'd go stainless if it were me. If your making your own, get some beads rolled in the metal, that'll make it stronger.

WadeL

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys. I will fit a new tank into the old tank. I will have to sacrifice capacity, but not much. I will also check craigslist.

fishzola

Cadet

What was your solution for the replacement fuel tank for the 28 safari. I am in the same situation. Any thoughts on how to replace the fuel tank and how to deal with the deck that is glassed over the tank is appreciated.

robert graham

Admiral

My brother in law is replacing his old 60 gallon, plastic, under deck tank with a nice "store bought" 40 gallon aluminum tank. He had welded into bottom back of new tank a short length of stainless pipe with stainless steel valve and similar pipe plug, so he can drain water/debris from tank once in a while. The drain opens into bilge area and then drains out the transom plug into a bucket. Might only drain a gallon or so to get junk out of tank bottom. The pipe plug is just extra insurance against that drain valve leaking. Water in his original plastic tank has caused him a lot of grief with his 115 Yamaha 4 stroke, so this new set-up should help prevent that. You probably better ditch that fiberglass tank since the ethanol dissolves the resin. Good Luck!