1966 Evinrude 85 hp, Where to find water pump kit?

Jlesinski

Seaman
Hello,

In the process of replacing the impeller on my 1966 80hp Evinrude Speedifour, I pulled off the Impeller housing assembly and managed to break a small circular spring which seems to keep a seal tight around the drive shaft. I am going to need to replace the spring, and I am looking for the seal kit that would include the spring. If I have to buy the spring alone I will, but figured I may as well get the kit and replace them while I have it apart.

Thanks,
Jim Lesinski

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1966 Evinrude 85 hp, Where to find water pump kit?

I think the spring you are talking about is part of the seal, You are probably going to have to check with a local repair shop or go aftermarket. If you have a napa store in your area they carry sierra marine parts, have your model number and they should be able to look it up for you.

Jlesinski

Seaman

Hello,

I am having a hard time locating this spring/seal still and I thought maybe posting some pictures of what I am talking about might help.

My parts manual shows this seal as part number Item# 308073, but anyone who actually has the seal knows nothing about the spring. My Original parts book mentions nothing about the spring either, which I thought was odd...

Anyone have any other leads or thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• bottomseal.jpg
    bottomseal.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Top Seal.jpg
    Top Seal.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Just buy the seal assy and be done with it. The spring is part of the seal, so why should anyone care about the spring? In fact, if it were mine, rather than replace selected parts, I would replace the whole waterpump, as long as I had it apart.

Jlesinski

Seaman

I would gladly go that route if it were a solution to the actual problem. The water pump kit Part # 379776 does not include this seal, so buying a water pump kit would be useless.

The seal seems to come as part of the impeller housing cover assembly, Part # 378392. So far everyone I have contacted doesn't have the spring for the seal though witht he impeller housing assembly.

Additionally, anyone with # 308073 (just the seal) doesn't have the spring either.

My concern here is not spending $100. I would gladly get the seal kit if it solved the problem... However if I put a new seal in without the spring it could be quite a bit more costly, right?

If you can point me to the actual part that replaces the seal in the image I posted I would appreciate it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I would gladly go that route if it were a solution to the actual problem. The water pump kit Part # 379776 does not include this seal, so buying a water pump kit would be useless.

The seal seems to come as part of the impeller housing cover assembly, Part # 378392. So far everyone I have contacted doesn't have the spring for the seal though witht he impeller housing assembly.

Additionally, anyone with # 308073 (just the seal) doesn't have the spring either.

My concern here is not spending $100. I would gladly get the seal kit if it solved the problem... However if I put a new seal in without the spring it could be quite a bit more costly, right?

If you can point me to the actual part that replaces the seal in the image I posted I would appreciate it.

308073 is the seal. It already has the spring in it. You can't buy just the spring alone.