Submersible Trailer Lights

apennington

Recruit
Are there really any truely submersible trailer lights that don't require unpluging before you back into the water? My trailer needs new lights and wiring and I don't know which brand I should buy? I have had a lot of guy's tell me that just because the package says submersible doesn't mean that you don't have to unplug them before entering the water. Any help or comments would be greatly appriciated.<br /><br />Thanks! :confused:

SeaRay245

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Submersible Trailer Lights

i have to say no matter what u use or buy i found it a good thing is to always unplug em before they go in the water why take chances

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with searay245.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's these new lights on the market for some time now. Instead of light bulbs they are special liquid crystal which are sealed and drain little power. they can remain on as they are sealed at the factory and cannot blow....<br />Ross

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They make led trailer lights. Available for too much in West Marine catalog. One brand is peterson manufacturing, called piranha.

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

My father always unplugged the lights before he backed into the ramp. I never do it. I can say that I see no difference. I do not have anymore trouble then he did. I do however spray the internals that hold the bulb with WD-40 to keep the corrosion down. But that is PM on the trailer along with the boat. Just like greasing the wheel bearings. <br /><br />I do not recall ever blowing a bulb or fuse because the lights were on when we dumped them in the water.

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

My trailer has sealed lights that are the same kind that 18-wheel trucks (and trailers) use. <br /><br />They are approx. 4" round and completely sealed, with a 3 prong electrical plug. The plug fits into a socket on the light fixture. (New lights come with a dab of grease comes on the socket.) The light fixture has a rubber "gasket" / band around it's perimeter, so it can easily be removed and replaced.<br /><br />The unit is sealed so there is no practical way to replace the bulb, but I have bought replacement units from Wal-Mart for about $8 each.<br /><br />You know that truck lights last a long time, and they work well on my trailer also.<br /><br />Regards to all,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On an old boat i used to have, there were these lights that were the best i ever had. They weren't sealed at all, in fact you could touch the bulb. The bulbs were inside a red lense that was open just on the bottom. Water couldn't get to them, like taking a drinking glass and turning it upside down, the air just couldn't get out. I dunked that boat a thousand times without changing a bulb, and they never rusted, because they never got wet. Even the wires came out the bottom opening. Never seen a set like that again, why i don't know, they were a great idea!

D

DJ

Ditto Gold Bear. The sealed truck lights also come in a rectangular shape. If you never want to replace one again go with LED style. They're very bright and just about indistructable. You'll pay big $$$ for them though.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know about there in the USA, but here in NZ the price of submersible LED trailer lights is $155;00 each - ouch, thats a lot of money and unless you must have a very high voltage drain at present then I'd stick with the good old bulbs sport!!<br />Ross.

D

DJ

Look into the type that has the open bottom. It works like sticking an inverted container into the water-like MikeM2 said. Otherwise, the LCD's are the way to go.<br /><br />Or-unplug em'.

I was so sick of relacing lights and sockets that I made a light bracket that attached across the rear of the boat with cable hooks back to the truck light harness. The advantage was cheap trailer lights. I removed it and put it in my pickup before putting the boat in . Result: no maintence on the lights for 7 1/2 years until a bulb finally burned out. a little more work than disconnecting the lights but not much. :p

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

I have done this on a few trailers: Take the entire assembly apart, all electrical connections,put a thin film of dilectric grease in all exposed surfaces,bulb socket etc,(NOT WD-40),Everything else that you see where water will get in seal with RTV sealant,put the assembly back together, wipe off excess, and you are ready for for the water after 24hrs. On the connectors a film of grease,and apply heat shrink tubing to seal. It wont last a lifetime, so do it once a year as part of PM.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've never had a problem with the submersible lights on my New Zealand made trailer - which I've used frequently for just over a year. I never unplug the trailer when launching into the sea (never thought about it) and have not (yet) experienced any problems with them going under water. <br /><br />They are called "Submers-a-lite" and have twist-on plastic lenses that form a watertight seal. I think they come from Australia. Normal auto bulbs inside. Cost $72 Australian = less than US$40 a pair.<br /><br />Here is what they look like;<br />
lamps.4.jpg
<br /><br />I found them at the following web site;<br /><br />Submers-a-lite Trailer Lights<br /><br />And this web site;<br /><br />www.cassellmarine.com.au<br /><br />I recommend them. Hope this helps.