70 9.8 MERC no start

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 70 9.8 MERC no start

Look at the points and give then a quick cleaning scuff with emery cloth and make sure the gap is .020 then give it another pull and check for spark.If that is the case,they are cheap just replace them.

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

Your 1970 9.8 doesn't have any points since it' has the electronic stator assembly. If your stator assembly has gone bad, you may not like the price of replacing that part.

Check for spark first. If you don't have spark, troubleshoot accordingly.

88stang1

Recruit

Your 1970 9.8 doesn't have any points since it' has the electronic stator assembly. If your stator assembly has gone bad, you may not like the price of replacing that part.

Check for spark first. If you don't have spark, troubleshoot accordingly.

It could be a 68 or 69 but it does have point

88stang1

Recruit

Look at the points and give then a quick cleaning scuff with emery cloth and make sure the gap is .020 then give it another pull and check for spark.If that is the case,they are cheap just replace them.

I clean them an no luck still no spark is there any other electrical component that could cause no spark or just points

Thank you for you help

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

Post up the serial number on your motor so I can determine the year of the motor.

If your points are clean, you'll need to:

Check the coils
Check the condensors
Check the spark plug wires
Check to make sure your kill switch is working

Here's how to check the coils if your motor does indeed have points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8rk5QWgS0

I recommend getting a Mercury Repair manual for your year of engine and troubleshoot accordingly.

Laddies

Banned

There are 2 different type ign. systems used on engines of that vintage so the serial number, placement of the coils or type of stator would be a good place to start inless you like the stab in the dark advice.