Goofed up motor

Dellonn

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, it's been a long time since I have had to request help from you guys. Quite honestly you are so good, i've been up and and running for a while. So... here it is.

Two days ago, I started my 16' Bowrider with the 1977 Mercury 1500 150 horsepower inline 6 cylinder without issue. It was the first time I had started it in nearly a year. I ran it flawlessly for over an hour. I put it back on the trailer and came home.

Today (and I swear, it always happens this way) I load up a cooler, the the kids, the wife, the whole shebang and it's trying to start very sluggishly. Almost like it has a dead battery. I know the battery is good (and I later verify it) but I switch over to my other battery. It's still turning over very very slowly. So... I turn the switch to power with both batteries. Still no joy. Occassionally, it'll start turning over quickly, like it's fine, then slower and slower, and eventually, won't turn over at all. So. I go to turn it over by hand, at first by putting it in gear and turning the propeller. I can just barely muscle it. I pull 5 out of 6 plugs and still can just barely turn it over by hand with the propeller. I can hear the impeller screaming as it rubs. So... I get home, and I'm hoping that I've got a blade broken on the water pump, so I drop the lower unit, and while the water pump appears to be swollen, it's not broken. But, with the plugs removed, I can easily turn the engine over by hand or with the key. I'm guessing one or two things... Starter having issues? or Water Pump swollen to the point that it won't allow the engine to turn over? Any advice? Yes, i'm going to change the water pump anyway while I have the unit pulled apart, but what else could it be?

Thanks again, you guys are great.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Goofed up motor

How about a bad lower unit? Sounds like you need to turn the driveshaft after you pull the waterpump impeller to see if the gearcase is bound up.

BTW- What the heck is a swollen impeller?

BTWW- I suspect you have a rusted driveshaft bearing.

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd go with Chris. Drop the oil drain plugs and check the gear oil for water.

Dellonn

Seaman Apprentice

I dropped the Lower Unit. With waterpump removed everything spins freely. Driveshaft, Gearcase, everything moving perfectly. I'm beginning to suspect starter.

j_martin

Admiral

You got it, starter.

They are built in a way that conductive brush debris stacks up in the cap until the brushes short out.

Odds are turning the armature, which can be done by any well set up starter repair shop in a few minutes, and putting in a set of brushes will fix it. Of course if bushings are bad, replace them. Only use a few drops of 10W non detergent motor oil for lubrication.

Full and detailed instructions, including a brush retainer you need to make out of sheet metal, are in the maintenance manual.

I got mine fixed for 5 bucks for the armature work, and 5 bucks for a used set of brushes and holder with 80% left on them. Of course I did the parts washing and assembly work myself. It'll only live for about 16 years, instead of 20.

Hope it helps
John