Winter Storage Indoor or Outdoor?

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm new to boating and live in NB Canada where the winters are severe. Indoor storage is obviously the best but it will cost me $68/mth for 7 months or about $500. I can store it outside for free. It has the factory covers plus I purchased an aftermarket cover that I use in the summer. I would purchase a large tarp and strap it down with ratchet straps. I do this for my pop-up camper with no problems except the tires go bad quicker than if it was stored indoors.

I'd like to hear from others who've stored their boats outdoors. Any serious problems with condensation or rotting of the interior? Any problems with the motor?

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winter Storage Indoor or Outdoor?

if your budget allows it heat shrink it and cover it as you said and for gods sake winterize that engine!! outside is OK but like you said inside is the best option. best of luck!

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our local county fairgrounds offers indoor locked storage (animal barns) for
$8.00 per foot total. Oct. 1st. thru March 1st. non heated of course. I've
lived in this county for 30 years and never knew they did this and about fell over when hearing from them how reasonable it is.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Most winters, Mine sits under a tarp in the driveway,...
Bow Up, Drive Down(or off),+ Everything fully drained of any Water....:cool:;)

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

Seeing how it only gets into the 40's around here in the winter I still keep it in my garage.:D

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine winters outside under a tarp which is tied on securely. Lots of moth balls in those little net thingies in all the seats and thrown all around the deck. Mine is a pontoon with a center lift trailer, so it is stored sitting on blocks to get the weight off the tires. Wrapping the boat is probably my most hated job of anything I do. It means another Midwestern winter to put up with. I hate winter. :(

bdblazer1978

Cadet

My only comment is where the outdoor storage is. If it's somewhere where you wont see the boat everyday, then it could be a problem. The boat I was just given from my parents was stored outdoors away from their house. The snow built up enough that it broke the windshield, which then ripped the tarp and factory cover and allowed the boat to fill with snow and water. The cover was old and ready to go anyways. Just my bad experience with outdoor winter storage.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

2 years ago I bought a heavey duty tarpped storage port 10'x8'x20' from TSC $280.00 winterize my girl and tarp it WD40 the tires and thats it so far so good.