Another Wards Sea King question

WOJO 1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got a boat and motor for free. The motor is a (clinton) Sea King 9HP. Model K900, Serial # 1561244 Type XTV 52309D. I think I found out that it is a model year 77-79 but am not positive. This thing has been sitting outside since probably 1987 or so. I have not tried to start it and after reading about the Clinton engines on here I am a little leary. Anybody know what the gas/fuel mixtures is for this vintage engine? Any help is appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another Wards Sea King question

I just got a boat and motor for free. The motor is a (clinton) Sea King 9HP. Model K900, Serial # 1561244 Type XTV 52309D. I think I found out that it is a model year 77-79 but am not positive. This thing has been sitting outside since probably 1987 or so. I have not tried to start it and after reading about the Clinton engines on here I am a little leary. Anybody know what the gas/fuel mixtures is for this vintage engine? Any help is appreciated.

I don't know what they claimed for mixture in 1977, but I was there when the motor was designed as a chainsaw. At that time it was 16:1, 1/2 pint per gallon. I don't see how putting it on an outboard lower unit changed anything. They weren't exactly a great chainsaw either.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Clintons over 5.76 cu in run 48:1 1/6 pint of TCW3 rated oil.
Your displacement is 10.14. If you can get it to go with little expense.
Give it a try.They vibrate,are loud partts a tough job especially being the relatively rare 9 hp.It appears the K900 was available in 79/80.

WOJO 1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Steelespike I see you are very knowledgeable on these engines. I was amazed that after sitting all this time it fired after 5 pulls. Little rough but at least it started. I put it in a tub of water and it does not pee so I am thinking that the impeller is shot. HOW the heck do you get this thing out? Any help would be appreciated.

WOJO 1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can someone please tell me if a J12YC plug is the correct plug for the above engine? That is what is in it. It runs but I want to replace the plug and make sure I get the correct one. Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Normally water mists out a row of relief holes on either side of the leg.
Intake is under the antivent plate.
There is an impeller in the leg;above the antivent(cavitation)plate.
I think there is a bolt in the exhaust snout and under a cover at the front
just under the antivent plate.You'll have to unhook the shift rod if any
There was no info available when my after market manual was printed.
Impellers are available Certified parts corp. It uses a Champion J13Y plug
J12y is slightly cooler will work ok unless you troll a lot.