Boat Weight-new axles

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the process of bringing a boat home. Problem is the axels are shot. So I need to buy new axles before I tow it home, second problem is I don't know which axels to get, Its an old boat with no paper work and I can't figure the weight of it. Its 23-24' v-hull. 4cyl I/O, small cabin up front, other wise its open, I'd say 8.5' beam. Also where might be a good place to get axels,wheels,tires or maybe a new roller-type trailer. I live on Long Island, New York.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat Weight-new axles

I would guess in the 4,000 lb range. Should not be more that 4500 lbs.<br /><br />I don't know of any trailer places in NY.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with fishthebay, but probably not less than 3000 lbs. What are you towing it with. Hopefully equipped with surge brakes or electric ones, because what really matters most is if you can stop it. Good Luck

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you want 3500# axles. I don't know if they make 4000# axles. As far as where to look, I'd start with your local boat dealers they probably all sell trailers and at least can give you some idea of where to look. Also brakes (which you should have) will make a difference in the type of axle you get.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Firewood, I purchased a float-on trailer this past spring. It had its down falls. All six wheels needed new wheel bearings, $120 worth. Then there was the problem of finding wheel cylinders for the surge brakes. Eveyone told me that I had to buy new backing plates with the new assembly. With persistance I found www.floaton.com. They helped me by sending me just the parts I needed to repair my trailer. Cylinders, and the nylon brake line. This was all under $50. Made me happy. They also told me that they also have complete axle assemblies at about $300 each (without brakes). These axles are rated at 3k pounds each. My boat is a 27 footer which weighs about 7600 pounds empty and 8800 pound loaded. I have 3 of these units under my boat. The suspension is torsion type instead of leaf springs which allow the trailer to sit lower to the ground. If your boat is over the six thousand pound range, I would ask them if they have anything heavier duty. I think they do have some rated to 4500. The axles are fabricated out of 4 inch galvanized channel Iron, and can be bolted to just about any trailer that has straight across stringers. I don't think they will work on ones that are bent down to accomadate the hull of the boat. But I think for the price of new axles, this isn't bad. I am going to replace one axle a year on mine until I have all three replaced. I pull this monster with a 3/4 ton Ford Van which has the 300 six cylinder. It does fine on flat and semi hilly land. But the hills in Ohio tend to slow me down a good bit.<br /><br />Just a note: I will never call my grand children little terrorists again! :D