Ward Sea King

drewhamby

Cadet
Just bought this motor and need to know what to do to get ready to use.
Model # 35GG-9015A Serial # 494727. Is the year 1949 or 1947? I checked for spark and it looked good. How about oil/fuel mix? How does this unit cool, I didn't see were there is an impeller? How about any service to the transmission and changing the lower unit oil? Any help would be appreciated.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Ward Sea King

That's a 1953 Gale 5 hp made for Montgomery Wards, who sold Sea King motors. Use 24:1 mix ratio and use modern TCW-3 marine oil. It has a water pump and impeller down in the foot. Remove the drain plug in the foot/gearcase and see what comes out...something like vanilla milkshake is bad and means water is getting in there. If it's honey colored or darker and smells like gear oil, simply drain and replace with fresh marine hypoid oil.

drewhamby

Cadet

I'm getting the milkshake stuff out of the lower end. It started right up and runs good but I don't see any coolant water coming out of the leg vents, Is this thing worth messing with?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm getting the milkshake stuff out of the lower end. It started right up and runs good but I don't see any coolant water coming out of the leg vents, Is this thing worth messing with?

No, it isn't worth messing with. You should drive by at about 2:00 AM and toss it out in my front yard. Then I'll have twin motors for my boat.

The water pump is a bit more complex than most motors, due to the neutral clutch. But it is not really that hard. The impeller is obsolete, but you can use a 5.5hp impeller by reaming the center hole to fit the shaft.