prop is ventilating

btr0037

Cadet
I replaced the prop on my 1993 90hp Mariner with the cross referenced replacement made by Mercury Quick Silver Black Diamond. They are both 13.75" by 15 pitch. The replacement has the hub kit conversion while the other had a pressed in exact hub with the 15 splines. The new prop grabs all types of air upon take off and requires a very gentle acceleration to make it avoid spinning and allowing it to grab water and reach full speed. The older prop had always worked great, it was just old and a little ragged. I put the old one back on but want to replace it eventually. I understand Michigan Wheel and Prop makes one with the pressed in hub and am tempted to try this. Any ideas on what the problem is?

hwsiii

Commander
Re: prop is ventilating

What exact make and model of prop did you have on their before, and are you absolutely sure you put the pieces together right for the new hub.

H

btr0037

Cadet

It was a Mariner/Mercury supposedly It has the number 4877342A40 15p on it. The Michigan Wheel customer support person told me that was not their number, that their replacement was 031041. I put on the Black Diamond QA2034X. I had the correct hub kit and put on the brass washer between the prop and the engine. I do not think it would be possible to put the remaining parts on incorrectly and have it work at all. I was wondering if this type of universal prop hub was a little different? Maybe the exhaust gases flow differently??

hwsiii

Commander

If you an take a picture with the prop off the boat and all of the separate parts we may can help you.

H

btr0037

Cadet

the boat will not be back at my home until late October. I am just staying with the old prop until the season is over. Thank you for the offer. I will return to this then. By the way, I just returned the new prop and hope they will give me my money back. It was clean a flawless.