running pontoon on trailer

mern

Cadet
I have a 95 crest 25' pontoon with a force 70 outboard. It has been giving me fits running well then leaving me stranded after a cool down. Thanks to Roscoe, today I am replacing some questionable parts and wish to do a decarb of the engine with sea foam deep creep. Question is, i have acess to a boat ramp into the Ky river that sees little use. Do you think I can safely run the outboard on the trailer while applying the cleaner,pull it out, spray in cylinders, let sit till tomorrow, then run at wot for 15 min, pull out and change plugs. Would be so much easier to keep the boat on the trailer as all i would have to do is pull forward to access the pluge etc? Boat would be tied to trailer with four rachet straps and hooked to 3/4 ton chevy diesel truck. Would you think it safe to potentially run the boat at wot while on the trailer? She's no powerhouse speedboat, but will cruise at 15-18 mph. The ramp allows the engine to be fully submerged while still on the trailer. Another reason is, if the boat were to strand us again i fear my woman will set it ablaze.lol So maybe I can duplicate the conditions that have gotton us stranded on the trailer without the risk of the butt-chewin if the boat isn't fixed. Anyone have any experience running a pontoon on a trailer? Thanks so much for your help

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: running pontoon on trailer

Running the boat on the trailer is no problem as long as you have water running through the engine. I would not run the eng. at WOT in Neutral, run it at various speeds and rev it up once in awhile.

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whatever else might happen, you'd better be on a substantial concrete boat ramp which extends well beyond your prop in every direction else you will have no friends and many enemies when you hydraulic that huge hole off the end (or underneath). Didn't you say 70 HP? Yikes!

And have you ever seen DeepCreep smoke? It will all be concentrated in one place. Hope no one else is around -- and you will need a gas mask.

And though DeepCreep is a good idea, it is unlikely to effect your cool-down problem so I would keep the issues separate. As all shadetree mechanics eventually learn: Never touch the carb and ignition (or any two systems) at the same time, else where do you start troubleshooting when new symptoms are discovered?

And I would worry about my cooling system functioning for 15 minutes at WOT in churning mud, sand and debris.

And, and, and, -- I'm thinking bad idea overall.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am in total agreement with Hunky Dory. Bad idea.

Jeep Man

Commander

How about this to avoid the problems mentioned by Hunky Dory. Borrow an electric trolling motor as your "just in case" backup, do all your prep work at your friends slip, and then cruise up and down the river while decarbing. That way no one gets upset and your not far from the trailer if trouble finds you.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

the only thing is when you de-carb while heading down the lake a lot of folks look at your and try and tell you your on fire :D:eek:, its a lot of smoke.....I did this to the small boat ( 50 hp rude )...you do not need WOT run about 2500 rpms and your good, it will all get in there... trust me, get a small gallon jug and mix 1 can of seafoam to 3/4 gal of gas.... insert your fuel line and just drive around.....head back to the dock, wait 15 min start it back up and head back out for another 15 min

FishinInMizzou

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to Roscoe, today I am replacing some questionable parts and wish to do a decarb of the engine with sea foam deep creep.

Mern - showing my inexperience, what do you mean by "decarb" your engine?

Ken

\\\\\\
Catching is better than fishing.
\\\\\\

mern

Cadet

It is process where you remove the carbon build-up inside the engine. There is a great post about it on this site. Not sure, maybe under engine FAQ