14' Gamefisher project pics

With lots of help from the friendly folks here, the boat I was given back in April has turned out nicely. It started as a standard aluminum fishing boat that didn't run, and has become (once the blind is finished) the duck hunting boat I envisioned.

One key aspect of the paint job was that my neighbor builds race cars, and used his huge compressor to spray the primer and paint - he did a very professional job that's hard to appreciate in these pics. It's taken a pounding on rough water, and so far no problems with the paint (knock on wood).

Attachments

• IMG_1174_1.JPG
    IMG_1174_1.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1176_2_2.JPG
    IMG_1176_2_2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1179_2_3.JPG
    IMG_1179_2_3.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1356_2.JPG
    IMG_1356_2.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1359_1.JPG
    IMG_1359_1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 14' Gamefisher project pics

The paint turned out great! What brand did you end up using? It looks like a new boat. Congrats and glad to hear you are happy with it on the water.

Cheers,
Kyle

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

As long as you trailer it ........ it will stay looking great! I am a firm believer that boats left in the water at a mooring suffer much more damage then ones removed.

Looks good and I like the OD color on it. Nice job.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You did a great job on that. It wouldn't look out of place sitting outside of Gander Mountain with a price tag on it :)

Thanks, guys. After all the onerous scraping, sanding, wirebrushing, washing, etc., I applied Gluvit to the seams and rivets inside and out (staged applications with the boat tipped in various positions to take advantage of the Gluvit's "running"). More scrubbing/brushing to remove the epoxy amine blush.

Then, in my friend's paint booth, with respirators on, we applied Dupont Nason etch primer mixed with its activator-reducer. This is a zinc chromate primer, purchased at Mattos, an auto paint chain (I believe), with helpful staff. The topcoat, applied immediately after the primer, was Jack Tar Olive Ducking Skiff paint by BLP Mobile Paints, purchased at a great local NAPA store (one coat only). We painted as much of the motor as we could without disassembling it, with the same primer and paint, except that the plastic cover was primed with plain old spray can plastic primer (specific for plastic; can't remember what it was, but bought it at Lowe's).

We painted the inside one night, then flipped the boat and painted the outside two nights later. I was horrified when, after we were done, I read on the can that it was low gloss rather than flat, but it's not shiny, after all, and looks better than strictly flat paint.

I'll try to attached pics of the duck blind I'm building on it (it's easily removable).

For those who've seen that Bob VT has responded to this post, I just want everyone to know that he gave me help and encouragement during the process. Thanks, Bob!

Attachments

• IMG_1548_1.JPG
    IMG_1548_1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1550_2.JPG
    IMG_1550_2.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1553_3.JPG
    IMG_1553_3.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

Oh hey, a question. A friend told me to put a plywood floor in the boat in order to distribute force, so that my weight doesn't damage the hull. I think that there are enough structural folds and reinforcing cross-members in it, and I'd rather not add the weight of a floor (and I'd rather not mess with it). I've put in some of those thick rubber anti-fatigue mats, like the kind bar tenders stand on, for traction and sound-deadening.

Do I need a plywood floor?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't imagine why you'd NEED a plywood floor.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

As long as the hull is sound you don't NEED a plywood floor, but it does keep you from having to step around/over the inside ribbing/structure when you're moving around in the boat...might be something to consider since your passengers will be locked-n-loaded a lot of the time.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Gamefisher that paint did turn out great and the blind looks good as well.:D

As far as decking, one thing to consider is removable sections. I built two sections for my 12' aluminum boat and it has worked out very well. I stained and sealed them and they resemble docks a bit.

If you want to check out what they look like I have pictures in my resto thread.

What kind of speed do you get out of that setup?

tallcanadian

Captain

Nice job and a great looking boat. I had an aluminum boat years ago and had installed a loose laying plywood floor. And that was only to get the floor level cause I stood up fishing a lot. Good luck with your hunting.

Thanks, guys. I just didn't want to do any damage to the hull by point-stressing it walking on it. I've worked too hard on it, as everyone here can empathize!

Huron Angler, that decking looks good.

Stepping around the ribbing hasn't been a problem, especially with that rubber matting down. I really like that stuff, but it is kinda heavy. Movement around the boat will be much more obstructed by decoy bags, guns, folded blind, etc.

With my girlfriend and our gear (not hunting gear), my GPS says 19.9 knots max at WOT. That was on rough water; have yet to try the GPS out on smooth water. I'm sure it'll do a lot less than that with hunting gear and hunting buddy aboard.

I saw a 16' aluminum boat for sale on craigslist today...I was tempted!