73 150hp merc on a 73 gt-150

I was wondering what you guys thought about this combo? I am putting 3/16 plate of aluminum on the back of the hull do you think the transom will hold up? I have checked it and it looks good, no rot. Just looking for input.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 150hp merc on a 73 gt-150

What is the boat rated for? I had a Merc 1500 on my 16' Avenger for years. I had a 3/8 aluminum plate on the transon, which held the boat together. Boat was rated for an 85HP motor.

I now have a Merc 135HPV6 on it. The low end power upgrade over the Merc 1500 is significant, and the hull hasn't broken up yet.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 73 150hp merc on a 73 gt-150

In my opinion, the GT-150 really isn't a good choice for lots of power. The hull design simply doesn't get the nose up, even with power trim, etc. I just don't think you'll see the kind of performance out of that hull that you think you'll get. The GT-160 (better) or the CV-16 (best) are much better choices.

Regardless, though, the transom, even with a plate, isn't made to handle that much power. It's not a weight issue, it's a torque issue. Unrotted transoms don't pull out where the motor sits - they crack at the sides or at seams. The stresses are transferred outwards. If you see any stress cracks in the motor well or on the deck, that's where it'll fail. A plate won't help that and can actually transfer MORE stress to those stress points...