New trailer for my BW 17'

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Someone clobbered my trailer in the parking lot while I was on the water last weekend. Got it home, but the frame is seriously distorted. Got offered $300 in trade for a new EasyLoader (sp?). I had an EasyLoader back in the early 80s and as I recall it lived up to its name.<br /><br />Is $1500 a fair price range for an EZloader for my 17' Whaler? How much more should I expect to pay for galvanizing, spare tire, and side bolsters to center her for loading?<br />What other extras should I consider?<br /><br />I am a senior with a bad heart and I am often alone at the ramp so ease in launching and loading is important. I also tow her on several 3000 to 5000 mile trips a year.<br /><br />I would appreciate any informed advice to help me spec my new trailer correctly and get a good price.<br /><br />Fair skies and flat water.<br />JB
smile.gif

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New trailer for my BW 17'

That price sounds a little high, Especially if that includes the trade in value of $300.00. I used ezloaders also back in the 80,s. Try Tropic.<br />Galvanized, tilt and spare tire are standard and guides are option. http://www.boattrailer.com/tropic3a.html. <br />Mike

JB

Thanks, Mike. I'll follow that up.<br /><br />The $1500 was before trade. . . .net $1200. I'll see if I can get that to include galvanizing, spare and loading guides, then compare to Tropic.<br /><br />Blue skies and smooth waters.<br />JB
smile.gif

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck JB. I spent $700 this spring on new tandem axles, springs, and wheel assemblies (not including tires and rims). That included some welding and installation. I would have said $1,500 was a fair price. Maybe I should have priced trailers before fixing the one I have.<br />I wish I could lend you a couple of my teenagers for loading. Now that's "ease of loading". Lot's of headaches training them, though.<br /><br />Let us know what you end up with.

l'ville

Recruit

saw a trailer as you've described, here in SC a few months ago for $1100. should have jumped on it. spent close to $700 replacing 2 cross-beams and hubs/bearings on mine (a '94 in saltwater). i think $1200-$1300 sounds reasonable. probably be $100 for the "extras" you described.<br />EZ loader's are great. Good luck.<br />-l'ville

wesal1

Seaman

Hey J.B. Here in L.A. (lower alabama) you should not have to pay more than a thousand for a trailor. take a look at the performance brand. On my small boat 17' cape horn I load and unload this all the time by myself. I run it up on the trailor then get out and latch it up (no problems)<br /><br />p.s. I'm just a young lad

JB

Thanks, young lad. I looked up Tropic, as Mike suggested and found pretty much what I think I want for about a grand, plus options and freight. I'll see what I can find out about Performance. That sounds sort of familiar. I wonder where I have seen it recently. Hmmm??<br /><br />Tight lines.<br />JB
smile.gif

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure of your beam but maybe this will help also.<br />ITEM: (IB-01-3920-179). http://www.cabelas.com/ <br />Could not believe how cheap they are.<br />Mike

SeaBear

Seaman

I can't help with trailer prices but I just wondered if somewhere along the way there may be an insurance that you can claim on for your trailer damage?

JB

Yes, SeaBear, there is "insurance". If I get $300 in trade and they then deduct the $250 "deductible" they will send me a cheque for $50. When I insure something and accept a "deductible" I seem to ensure the cost of any claims. I had 2 parking lot dings on my treasured Shining Armor, which cost $490 and $525 to repair. The deductible? Of course: $500.<br /><br />Some form of Murphy's Laws, I imagine.<br /><br />Cheers.<br />JB
smile.gif

JB

I checked out the trailer at the Cabelas site, Mike. It sure is low priced. I couldn't get enough info on the specs (load rating, features, wheel size, etc.) to get excited. I will try their live chat Monday and see if I can find out more. Thanks for the link.<br /><br />Tight lines.<br />JB
smile.gif

sockeyerun

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JB, Pulled my boat out of the water last weekend only to notice that my trailer was so rusted she was about to break in half,I really don't think she would make it more that a mile or two before stranding me along the 150 mile trip home(some of it in the middle of nowhere)thankfully it was noticed.One more dump in the water and she's history... This is not the first time I have had to fix rust on this trailer and I just don't trust it any more. My dealer has a "KING" trailer-www.kingtrailers.com/ model 2410,it's galvanized,14"tires,bunks,winch,ready to go except spare for $1550.That was $400 Cheaper than a EZ Loader with 13" tires. The trailers look almost the same except tire size. Up here in Alaska things are definately higher priced. I would think that where you are at, you should be able to one that is already galvanized for 1500. Good luck,Sockeyerun
smile.gif

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a similar situation, except I noticed the springs had broken on my trailer before I left the driveway. I have no idea when it broke, but I had towed it home from the coast(about 180 miles) the last time out. Luckily for me, the spring broke free of the bracket, and came to rest underneath the trailer frame. I went through the arduous task of jacking the boat up on centerblocks and pulling the trailer out from underneath it and having the axles, springs and wheel assemblies replaced. My question is, what can I do to delay the inevitable degradation of the axles and springs? I try to rinse after a saltwater dunking, and occassionally spray oil on those parts, but it is amazing how much rust I already have after a half a season. I am fairly prudent about keeping my bearing buddies full of grease, but I have had to change bearings on the roadside. Not fun. Any suggestions that we make things last longer and work better? (Other than telling me to keep it out of saltwater, I would rather sell the boat!)<br /><br />
smile.gif

JB

Sorry 'bout your trailer, Sockeyerun. Galvanized is the only way to go unless you pressure-wash it with soap and fresh after every load. <br /><br />The only things wrong with my trailer were (I'll explain the "were") the bent frame, smashed lights and those doughnut 20.5x8x10 high-flotation tires that work great on sandy beaches and grassy banks but really add drag on the highway.<br /><br />"Were" means that my frame isn't bent any more. I ran out of patience with sales personnel that couldn't give me clear tech. specs on their product. So I rigged up a network of chains, 2 come-alongs and a hydraulic floor jack and pulled and twisted her back into alignment, minus 1/8". Did this, by the way, with Sunshine III still on her. A new axle, hubs and bearings and new lights and it's ready to go. Now if I can just get a decent price (or trade) on three 13" galv. wheels with good 1.75x13C radials on 'em, I'll have a new trailer.<br /><br />Anyone in this part of ***'s country want to swap me three good 13", 5 stud wheels with good tires for three good 8x10s with near new 20.5 tires plus a reasonable amount of cash?? Outside diameter is about the same.<br /><br />Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions and support.<br /><br />Tight lines.<br />JB
smile.gif

JB

Sorry 'bout your trailer, Sockeyerun. Galvanized is the only way to go unless you pressure-wash it with soap and fresh after every load. <br /><br />The only things wrong with my trailer were (I'll explain the "were") the bent frame, smashed lights and those doughnut 20.5x8x10 high-flotation tires that work great on sandy beaches and grassy banks but really add drag on the highway.<br /><br />"Were" means that my frame isn't bent any more. I ran out of patience with sales personnel that couldn't give me clear tech. specs on their product. So I rigged up a network of chains, 2 come-alongs and a hydraulic floor jack and pulled and twisted her back into alignment, minus 1/8". Did this, by the way, with Sunshine III still on her. A new axle, hubs and bearings and new lights and it's ready to go. Now if I can just get a decent price (or trade) on three 13" galv. wheels with good 1.75x13C radials on 'em, I'll have a new trailer.<br /><br />Anyone in this part of ***'s country want to swap me three good 13", 5 stud wheels with good tires for three good 8x10s with near new 20.5 tires plus a reasonable amount of cash?? Outside diameter is about the same.<br /><br />Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions and support.<br /><br />Tight lines.<br />JB
smile.gif

JB

Hmmm. How did I post that twice?? Well, anyway, forget about the request to swap wheels. The Boat Spirit (genuflection) was looking out for me today. I stopped at a marina and interrupted a man who was complaining that his 175x13C wheels get bogged every time he tries to launch his pontoon from a grassy bank. Made the deal to solve his problem and even got him to agree to pay the marina wrench to make the swap. The only flaw in the deal is that his (soon to be my) wheels aren't galvanized.<br /><br />Oh, thank you great Boat Spirit!!<br /><br />Tight lines.<br />JB
smile.gif

sockeyerun

Seaman Apprentice

Two years ago on the same trailer I had one of my leaf springs break. two miles from the boat lauch, I noticed all this smoke bellowing out the back of my trailer,luckly I was only 1 mile away from where I fish and I was able to rig it up so I could get back to the launch(usually I store it there in the summer so I don't have to tow it home every weekend,it's 300+ miles round trip)and left it there. This trailer came with my boat when I bought it. I had to have several rust spots fixed then including the spring perches.I not going to take anymore chances.I purchased a new trailer today and am going to sell the other one for dirt cheap,best offer. I have been lucky twice,third time could be a disaster. I would hate to think what would have happened if it would have broke and the rear half would have dug into the pavement doing 60 or miles an hour.My boat,trailer,2000 chevy and camper would have probably have been thrown into oncomming traffic or off a cliff.Definately would have made the six o'clock news on that one.It's every bit worth the $1600 to feel secure.
biggrin.gif

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On a trip up i-95 last weekend north of Baltimore, I saw a 17'Whaler on the pavement in the right lane. The trailer had fallen apart and two guys were running around picking up parts off of the highway. Other than the lower unit being embedded in the pavement, the boat looked fine. I have no idea what happened, but that whaler must be one tough boat!

sockeyerun

Seaman Apprentice

Drove down to pickup a new trailer and retrieve my boat today.First off,never trust a dealer to tighten all the bolts on your brand new ready to go trailer. I found four main frame bolts were totally loose and others that were not tight.Anyway,I launched my boat to swap old trailer with the new one.I walked up to the front of the boat to release the bow clip and the **** thing broke in half.Feel'n pretty lucky right now.Sockeyerun
eek.gif
<br /><br />------------------<br />Kenai Kings Rule!