can I Convert I/O to an outboard?

Hukeedo

Seaman
The question is why? I have an opportunity to get a free boat in great shape with a cuddy cabin which is what I want. But the motor and outdrive where trashed and the owner yanked them. I would like to find a cuddy cabin boat with and outboard config but this came along. I have a great merc motor to put on it. But what is involved in making this boat into an outboard config, is it worth it or too expensive? I am an outboard man, I like them better.And I know it would be alot of money, and hard work to put a 350 engine and outdrive in it again.
Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: can I Convert I/O to an outboard?

I've done one. First, you have a big hole to fill! Then, you have to reinforce the transom to make it strong enough to handle the outboard, which means both making it thick and strong enough, plus adding knees to brace it to the bottom. On the one I did, I mounted the outboard to a bracket so I didn't have to hack away the rear deck. It wasn't so bad a job, but then I've done a lot of wood and fiberglass work over the years.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Most (not all) conversions are not totally successful. The center of gravity of the boat will change pretty drastically when moving from an IO to an outboard on a bracket. There can be pretty severe handling consequences if this is the case. The unfortunate part is that you would not be able to tell until completing the conversion if the boat has acceptable handling with the outboard.

Hukeedo

Seaman

Thanks for the replys Mush and TX. Mush, did you have the problems TX mentioned? The boat I was talking about converting is a 1984 Four winns 201 Liberator.I am not familiar with fiberglass working, so maybe I should just wait and get the boat I want that is setup already,even If I do have to pay for it.Free is not always "Free" I suppose.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Search the resto forum. It has been done, I don't know the success.

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

'Free' boats can get pretty expensive- ask me how I know! Not all boats will balance well with a bracket. The one I did was also available in an outboard version, and had the same hull, so I knew it would work.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Any older, low cost boat will most likely need a good deal F/G work, so don't think you will find something that's fit for use as is.

As far changing it to an OB, it can be done, I'm not aware of the many reported disapointed owners after a conversion, but there must be some out there. My conversion worked out very well, its a much better boat as an OB.

Most older boats used the same hull shape for any drive package they offered, they did move things around in the boat to balance it out which is easy to do. Worst case you use a floatation bracket, this will take care of any possible handling problems.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I/O to outboard conversions were the rage back in the mid to late 80's and 90's when the Gil bracket first came out. Done correctly it'll be fine. Most bracket companies will walk you thru the basic process. The biggest downfall is mounting the bracket too low. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about it.