Lights and wiring

JEllwanger

Seaman
Looking for some tips on lighting and wiring for trailers and trucks. Easy enough to do it myself, or should I take it in?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lights and wiring

Definitely a do-it-yourself project for the trailer. Most automotive and marine stores offer a kit that includes everything you need, plus instructions. Good luck<br /><br />JB

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

trailer light easy an fun....one word of advice,dont use SCOTCHLOKS!

JEllwanger

Seaman

Thanks, guys. I'm heading for the local trailer hitch place this week. What's a SCOTCHLOK?

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is an idea I came up with. I made some light mounts with 1" PVC and notched the bottom to fit into my rear fishing rod holders. I run the harness the length of the boat to the tow vehicle. I just pull them out and put them in the truck before dunking the trailer in the brine to off load the boat.<br />I got tired of we doing the lights every year due to saltwater corrosion. Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Great idea, krosemond. What do you do about the license plate light, put the plate on the extended mount, too?<br />JB
smile.gif

JEllwanger

Seaman

Good idea. I don't know if the local law enforcement would take a disliking to the lights not being on the trailer, but I guess I could modify your idea to work with it as well.

tigermonkey

Recruit

As far as wiring for your truck, HOPPY makes a connection splice that goes in the harness behind the rear bumper. Its a tee setup that has factory connections that fit your truck and a 4 way connector and harness to hook up to your trailer. Takes about 15 minutes or less to hook up.<br />good luck

tigermonkey

Recruit

Forgot to tell you, I got mine at Walmart. It was in the automotive wiring section.<br />good luck