Changing a tire along side of the roadway

moorpark

Cadet
If Fulton, Attwood, or some other jack manufacturer would simply listen, I think this idea is worth considering.<br />A conventional screw jack with a flat steel foot, rather than a wheel, could be temporarily attached to the side of a single axle boat trailer next to the tire needing replacement. Attachment would be via a cylindrical sleeve (hollow metal tube) that slides into a mating tube welded to a conventional mounting plate that most jacks already have attached from the manufacturer. The matching plate would be affixed with a slightly larger cylindrical sleeve into which the mating part on the jack would fit and be held in place with a latching pin or snap ring. The jack could be easily removed and stowed away when the task was completed. Isn't this far safer than attempting to maneuver a scissors jack from the automobile, which probably won't fit right anyway, up and under the trailer, on uncertain terrain, with eighteen wheelers whipping by your six at about sixty five mph? Does anyone think this is a reasonable idea? I'm ready to fabricate the concept if some trailer accessory manufacturer can't get up the gumption and try it themselves. I guess they're all afraid of product liability issues.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Changing a tire along side of the roadway

Hey, Moorpark. I was browsing and found your post. Sounds like a great idea. Many European vehicles use a jack that "plugs in" to a socket on the side of the frame/body. WV and Mercedes are examples I have had. They work SOOOO much better than the typical p.o.j. that comes with most US vehicles. <br /><br />I am going to take my trailer to the welder tomorrow and have sockets welded on to accept a Mercedes jack.<br /><br />Post an update if you have progressed with your idea.<br /><br />Thanks for the inspiration.<br />JB
smile.gif

moorpark

Cadet
Re: Changing a tire along side of the roadway

Since I posted the original mail about trailer jacks, I was able to get Fulton to finally listen. They have since sent me the parts I needed to do exactly what I described. I had to have a local welder attach the mating sleeves to the bolt-on mounting plates, but that cost me ten bucks and a coat or Rustoleum for appearance. Needless to say, it works great and I don't know why nobody else has come up with this concept. My total outlay, including $3.00 for the can of paint was slightly less than fifty five dollars, a price I'd gladly pay double if I had to jack up the trailer on a public highway the old fashioned way. <br /><br />Anybody wants more information about this, email me and I'll send you the parts list, etc. It's really a no-brainer, since you can unbolt the adapters if you get another trailer, so everything can be used over and over again. No, there's no holes to drill either!<br /><br />****<br /><br />------------------