Water in power head compartment

skintner

Seaman
'87 Force 50 507X7B

New head gasket, new exhaust gaskets...

With the cover off, muffs on, I can see water in a fairly steady stream from below the exhaust cover assembly at idle. When running on the water, the compartment fills with water. I thought it might be the mating surfaces not matching, so I took the exhaust cover assembly off and put high temp permatex on all mating surfaces and cured for 2 days but the leak is still there.

There are no visible cracks in the exhaust plate or cover. I have found replacements at a used parts outlet, but I suspect that the block is cracked.

There is really no way to get a closer look without taking the whole upper apart.

I guess this is going to be my winter project - to rebuild the entire motor. I can get a used "serviceable" block for $200, but I'm questioning the worth... This is a pretty tall project for me.

I have looked around for a rebuilt power head, but there isn't anything out there at this time, and I'm not sure whether I could afford it anyway.

I have a settlement coming sometime in the next 6-8 months and am thinking about an Evinrude, but that's just dreaming for now.

Comments? Thoughts? I'm starting to wear out...

steve

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water in power head compartment

I know a guy that had block leak in a 55 johnson he plugged with JBweld and it has worked for years. The aluminum version seems to hold up to heat well, though if it is in the exhaust it may not but water yes. I would go that route, at least you can take it apart for free. If on the gasket you can grind it out some and fill it, then block/file/stone the surface back flat the stuff is very machinable. If it does not work then spend, but if it meets those conditions and crack is not structural it should work fine. If crack is stressed you might be able to weld it. Unless you can get another powerhead cheap.

john from md

Commander
Re: Water in power head compartment

I second the JB weld idea. Make sure you clean the surface well and give it a final wipe with acetone. When mixing, stir for a good 2 minutes to make sure the two parts are well mixed.

The water pressure is very low so the JB Weld should work fine.

John