It Floats ! but . . .

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finally after almost 2 years (along with 2 renewed registrations), I put my boat on the water. I have rebuilt everything that I can. Fuel system, new filters, all wiring, fuse box, new gauges and even paid for new steering installation.

Had to replace the lower unit and had the engine serviced.

Took the week off to finish the necessities, those being the live well and bilge pump plumbing and to get this baby on the water.

Started it on the muffs this morning and then drove down and put it at a 1 & ? single ramp on the Little Manatee river here in Florida. Called a bayou but really just a ? mile circular portion of the river with flow through both ends.

Here is where we ran into a problem that I need help with. It idles fine (800 rpm) , will do no wake speed without problems (prop turning @ 1000 rpm), but if I give a bit more juice (1500-2000) it runs a bit and then dies.

If I run at WOT (4000 rpm) it picks up and goes but as soon as I back it down, it splutters and dies. My brother and I both smelled gas after it died.

So my question is do I need to have the engine tuned again or is there something that I haven't even thought of yet ? 40 Gal Stainless tank. The gas is a mixture of old , 15 gal 1 yr old, 20 gal new today. Put Star-Tron in it 3 months ago, water evaporating stuff today.

This is a 89 Suzuki 140 hp, 2 stroke, bypassed VOR with 1:50 gas ? oil ratio. It was serviced when I bought the boat 2 years ago, has been run periodically since.

I am going to water test it tomorrow with 5 gal of new gas, oil mixed to see if it could be the gas instead of the tuning.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas ?

Thanks.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: It Floats ! but . . .

It could be a fuel problem. I am not sure if I would have mixed the old gas and new gas together. Your suggestion of trying new gas is a very good one.

You said you smelled gas after it died. You also said that it was serviced two years ago and run periodically. If the motor sat with old gas in the carburetors for months at a time, you could have a clogged carburetor. The new gas these days has ethanol and that causes the fuel hoses to disintegrate. It is possible you may have some gunk in the carburetors and they may have to be rebuilt. Also, WOT for your motor is likely much higher than 4000 rpms. You could try putting some SeaFoam in your mix. I would add about 2 oz per gallon of fuel mix.

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: It Floats ! but . . .

I don't profess to be the most knowledgeable with these motors, however....
Sounds to me like it's too rich and maybe choking on fuel at lower RPM's. Just a thought???