Pourable Stringers

AltaMira

Cadet
I have started to refinish a 1967 16' Lone Star fiberglass boat. I removed the deck and underneath is foam (almost like styrofoam) The deck was rotting and this foam is waterlogged. After I remove the foam I will have to replace it with a few stringers as the foam sandwiched between the botton of the boat and the deck is what gave the hull additional support. Does anyone have experience with a product called SEACAST? Seems like I should be able build some forms and pour this stuff in, like pouring mini concrete forms? Any help would be great.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Pourable Stringers

I suggest you use the search feature for Seacast. Several folks in the forum have used it with great results.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Seacast will add a bit of weight. And its very expensive. Consider using plywood coated with a layer of glass/resin, or pressure treated ply and glass/resin. When done properly, it will last long enough to be your grand kids boat.

drewpster

Commander

Seacast will add a bit of weight. And its very expensive. Consider using plywood coated with a layer of glass/resin, or pressure treated ply and glass/resin. When done properly, it will last long enough to be your grand kids boat.

Agree

I reality you either want the quick fix or to make your boat new. I prefer new. I say this with no real experience with Seacast. I would like it better if it would bond to wood. There is simply no way to get all the old wood out without cutting and grinding. In which case, you might as well go with wood anyway.