115 johnson?? what to know

parrisw

Ensign
I'm buying a boat tomorrow it comes with a 115 Johnson outboard, looks like maybe mid 80's engine. Anything common on these things?? Just looking to what to check for before using it.

Thanks

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 115 johnson?? what to know

Hi
-Check the compression!! Don't consider it unless you do.
-Check for external oil leaks on the rear of the VRO pump.
-look for calcium deposits at base of powerhead which can suggest cracked block from poor winter storage
-check for bent prop shaft by rotating prop by hand in nuetral
-observe starter drive gear (excessive wear can mean starting issues)
-Listen for the warning horn when key first turned on
-look for discolored paint on heads
-drain a little lube out of the gear box and check for water in oil
-take for a road-test and check for max RPM (4800-5500)
-take for a road-test and check for overheat warnings

Good Luck!

Cheers :)

parrisw

Ensign

Hi
-Check the compression!! Don't consider it unless you do.
-Check for external oil leaks on the rear of the VRO pump.
-look for calcium deposits at base of powerhead which can suggest cracked block from poor winter storage
-check for bent prop shaft by rotating prop by hand in nuetral
-observe starter drive gear (excessive wear can mean starting issues)
-Listen for the warning horn when key first turned on
-look for discolored paint on heads
-drain a little lube out of the gear box and check for water in oil
-take for a road-test and check for max RPM (4800-5500)
-take for a road-test and check for overheat warnings

Good Luck!

Cheers :)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just going to buy it on the guys word, its cheap enough, its stored in a spot that I cant really test it. I don't think there is an alarm?? Is it part of the motor? It might even be a late 70's motor, its a white motor with orange trim I guess. I pulled the cover and looks pretty good in there.

iwombat

Captain

Unless you can test it out and verify all of the above, you should consider it a parts motor and set your expectations accordingly. Many well-intentioned sellers inadvertently sell you their problems.

parrisw

Ensign

Unless you can test it out and verify all of the above, you should consider it a parts motor and set your expectations accordingly. Many well-intentioned sellers inadvertently sell you their problems.

Yes, I know the risks. everything is there, he said he tested compression when he got it, and one cylinder was 10psi lower then the others. I'll just deal with what comes up, hopefully it wont be much. Only $400 for boat and motor.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, picked up the boat today, took it home connected the battery, it started right up after a few tries, seemed to run fine, so I took it to the lake, ran it around for 30mins, ran really good, for sitting for 6months as the owner said, it has a slight hesitation when transition from putting along to get on plane, and at idle it died a couple times, but for the most part it idled ok, what to look for, spark plugs look ok. I am an auto mechanic so I'm not afraid to fix anything, I'm just new to outboards.

Video of it running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV1ls0wPTjI

Thanks

Will

parrisw

Ensign

Oh, how do I check the charging system? I'm not so sure its charging properly, I put a meter on the battery when running and only read 12.3, battery wasn't fully charged.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

A meter on the battery is fine to check charging system. Charge the battery and check running voltage at 1500-2000 rpm, should be somewhere around 13.8 to 14.2 volts.

parrisw

Ensign

A meter on the battery is fine to check charging system. Charge the battery and check running voltage at 1500-2000 rpm, should be somewhere around 13.8 to 14.2 volts.

OK, then what if it's not charging? Where to go from there. Where is the alternator? under the flywheel?

iwombat

Captain

I'd do a continuity check on the rectifier first. Chances are it's blown.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Unregulated rectifiers have a triangular base with a cylinder on top, at least 2 yellow wires and one red.

On V4 engines the water cooled regulated rectifiers are mounted at the top of the engine block, between the cylinder banks.

Give the model number of your motor for better help.

parrisw

Ensign

Unregulated rectifiers have a triangular base with a cylinder on top, at least 2 yellow wires and one red.

On V4 engines the water cooled regulated rectifiers are mounted at the top of the engine block, between the cylinder banks.

Give the model number of your motor for better help.

Ok, thanks. I'll go out and get the serial number.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like you have a 1980 model Johnson 115 with tilt and trim, electric start, and a long shaft (20").

parrisw

Ensign

Looks like you have a 1980 model Johnson 115 with tilt and trim, electric start, and a long shaft (20").

Thanks, ya I just found out is a 1980, how did ya get the rest of the info. I'd like to figure out the charging issue tomorrow, so any help would be great!!!

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The model number (J115TLCSA) signifies:

J - Johnson
115 - hp
T - tilt/trim, electric start
L - 20" shaft
CS - 80
A - model run

If the space where the L is located is blank, it's a 15" shaft.

To determine the year, use the acronym "INTRODUCES"
I=1, N=2, T=3, R=4, etc.

Had a 1976 Johnson 115hp, but I don't know what changes were made between '76 and '80, so I'd hate to steer you wrong. I can tell you that it was a great motor. Never had any problems with it, and put lots of hours on it.

Good luck,
JTB

parrisw

Ensign

The model number (J115TLCSA) signifies:

J - Johnson
115 - hp
T - tilt/trim, electric start
L - 20" shaft
CS - 80
A - model run

If the space where the L is located is blank, it's a 15" shaft.

To determine the year, use the acronym "INTRODUCES"
I=1, N=2, T=3, R=4, etc.

Had a 1976 Johnson 115hp, but I don't know what changes were made between '76 and '80, so I'd hate to steer you wrong. I can tell you that it was a great motor. Never had any problems with it, and put lots of hours on it.

Good luck,
JTB

Cool, thanks for the info.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, just checked charging voltage. And it at about 15v, seems a little high to me, I'd generally like no more then 14.5? Is 15v ok, do these have regulators like cars do?

After thought here, I'm wondering if its just the ultra cheap meter I was using? I've seen those be off by .5v before. I'll check again with my good meter.