Newbie - Need advice pls

petejung

Cadet
I just came into this boat and motor. I've posted a couple of other questions, and I'll probably have lots more.

Here's a total newbie question.

The motor is a 1971 80hp mercury 4 cylinder. It does not have power Tilt and Trim. There is a set of holes on the back of the motor mount where a bar slides through, and on the motor itself is a couple of hook like things (forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology for all of this. If someone could set me straight, I'd appreciate it). When the motor comes down, it doesn't hook around the bar. I have to move the hook mechanism, which is spring loaded, to catch the bar. That's no big deal. My concern is there is no "positive lock" on the hooks, i.e. if I lift the motor up, it comes right off the bar. This doesn't seem right, or is it? Is there something else I need to do to lock the motor down in place, or is there a part that may be missing from the motor?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for putting up with my stupid questions.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Newbie - Need advice pls

What you are describing is two different systems.

On the transom bracket (attached to the boat) you will see 5 holes (I think) on each side of the motor in a crescent shaped casting. Passing thru one of these set of holes should be a removable metal pin about 3/8" diameter and 7" long. This is your trim adjustment and trim pin. The motor will rest on this pin while under way. The position of the pin in the holes determines the angle of the motor to the boat (trim) and how it rides in the water.

Located on the underside of the transom bracket are the two reverse lock hooks as you described. These are supposed to lock onto a fixed lock bar when the motor is in reverse and neutral. When in forward, the hook should release from the lock bar. The purpose of this function is to prevent the motor from kicking out of the water when in reverse and to allow the motor to kick up in forward if you were to hit a submerged object. Only when the motor is in forward gear should you be able to lift it.

If the hooks are not engaging properly, then the shift lock cam located in the lower unit may be worn or missing. Another reason is that the end of the shift lock shaft may be corroded and worn to the point it no longer makes contact with the cam.

Oh and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Most of us here were in your shoes at one time or another. We learn as we go :)

petejung

Cadet

What you are describing is two different systems.

On the transom bracket (attached to the boat) you will see 5 holes (I think) on each side of the motor in a crescent shaped casting. Passing thru one of these set of holes should be a removable metal pin about 3/8" diameter and 7" long. This is your trim adjustment and trim pin. The motor will rest on this pin while under way. The position of the pin in the holes determines the angle of the motor to the boat (trim) and how it rides in the water.

Located on the underside of the transom bracket are the two reverse lock hooks as you described. These are supposed to lock onto a fixed lock bar when the motor is in reverse and neutral. When in forward, the hook should release from the lock bar. The purpose of this function is to prevent the motor from kicking out of the water when in reverse and to allow the motor to kick up in forward if you were to hit a submerged object. Only when the motor is in forward gear should you be able to lift it.

If the hooks are not engaging properly, then the shift lock cam located in the lower unit may be worn or missing. Another reason is that the end of the shift lock shaft may be corroded and worn to the point it no longer makes contact with the cam.

Oh and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Most of us here were in your shoes at one time or another. We learn as we go :)

I'm confused about the hooks. Do you have a picture or diagram of what the whole system is supposed to look like?

Right now, If I drop my motor down, I can lift it up in f-n-r. The only other boat motor I ever had was a 7.5 hp merc, and when I dropped it down, it would "click" in place. This big hoss doesn't click or do anything...

petejung

Cadet

I'm adding some pictures so you can see a few of the things I'm talking about. The first picture is looking up into the hook area. I manuall put the hooks down over the trim setting bar. Do you see parts missing there?

The second picture is looking from the left side of the motor at a hole...I wonder what is supposed to be there?

The last picture, a bit blurry, shows a shaft running down into the lower unit. It doesn't seem right to me that this shaft would be exposed. Am I wrong on this?

Attachments

• IMG_1637_1.jpg
    IMG_1637_1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1638_1.jpg
    IMG_1638_1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1639_2.jpg
    IMG_1639_2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0