5.0 Merc w/ Alpha Drive - Lost power

cfurcht

Recruit
I have twin 5.0's with Alpha One drives. They are both 6 years old with frequent maintenance. While running at 70% throttle, the starbord engine began to race and I lost power to the drive. Within minutes the temp spiked and I immediately shut it down. The next day, I went back out to check on it and started the engine with no issue. I tried to put the drive in gear but it would not catch. I tried forward and reverse in the dock but nothing happened. I did not let the engine run long and did not see a high heat issue either. There appears to be a disconnect between the motor and the drive. Is this an easy fix? Could there be a cluth issue? I assume the drive will need to be pulled but before I take it to the shop, I was hoping for some intel to make sure this doesn't become a bigger issue than it really is.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.0 Merc w/ Alpha Drive - Lost power

I assume the drive will need to be pulled but before I take it to the shop, I was hoping for some intel to make sure this doesn't become a bigger issue than it really is.

Ayuh,.... It don't get much worse than a Blown Coupler,....Both the drive,+ the motor have to come out...
Did you experience any Smoke at the transom, inside, or a Burnt Rubber smell,..??
If Not,...
You might be Lucky,+ only Blew the Drive itself,...
By your discription,...
I'd guess the Top Gears, or the vertical Shaft, at the o-ring groove...

Btw,.... Welcome Aboard,..... ;)