Painting top side of Livingston?

seatown7

Cadet
I have a 14' Livingston and the paint that the previous owner applied to the top side is starting to flake off during cleaning. Any suggestions on what to use to repaint the interior? Anything I can use that I won't have to re-do in 2 years? Should I do it myself or is it something I should have a shop do?

Thanks.

seatown7

Cadet
Re: Painting top side of Livingston?

I re-worded this because I thought that "top side" was more appropriate than "interior."

drewpster

Commander

The answers to your questions lie in how far you want to go to restore the finish. If you are looking for a quick fix or an "easy" way to make it look good again I would recommend you take it to a shop.
You certainly can do it yourself. There are very durable marine paints on the market specifically designed for D.I.Y. However painting a boat correctly to get the best finish possible takes some work. Allot of work depending on your point of view.
You mentioned that the old paint is flaking off. It is likely that it will have to be removed before any new paint goes back on. That means stripping it or sanding it, probably both. Are you prepared to strip the old finish off? If so there are many high grade marine paints on the market that can be applied using a roller and a brush that yield a gelcoat-like smooth finish. But all that shine requires good prep work to make it look its best.
Roll on marine paints are not as complicated as automotive paints and you do not need specialized equipment to apply it. But marine paints can be just as involved as auto paint when it comes to prepping. A good paint job is 90% prep 10% paint.
If you are willing to do the work the result is certainly worth what it takes to get it done right.

perfect4.jpg

seatown7

Cadet

The paint I'm referring to is the inside portion of the Livingston. It is rough, like those "Line-X" spray in truck bed liners. It will not need to be smooth because the finish is like unsanded fiberglass.

drewpster

Commander

Well in that case things are much easier! What kind of finish is on it now? Is it bedliner?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The paint isn't sticking because it wasn't prepped correctly, the entire surface needs to be sanded and I?m sure the previous owner didn't do it.

You need to remove 100% of the old paint and then make sure every square inch of the surface is well sanded and clean. Most paints will stick very well after this prep work.

seatown7

Cadet

Any favorite brands to suggest for this newbie?