I am glad to see...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...that I am not the only one. <br /><br />
oneforenglish.jpg
<br /><br />Every time I had occasion to call Verizon Wireless, I prefaced the reason for my call with a complaint about having to press 1 to speak English. I did this for over two years and now you no longer need to do it. Every other vendor that I call, I do the same thing. I get agents who actually argue with me. I tell them that I am not interested in their opinion, I just want them to pass it up the line.<br /> <br />Won't all of you besides PW, rolmops, BluLunch, Mrbscott, et al, jump in and do the same thing?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: I am glad to see...

Hey,,,Me too. Been biotchin for over a year, if they have a baaad foreign accent I ask to speak with someone else. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Me too, no Apoo on my phone line. Especially when they tell you there name is Bob or Jim and you just KNOW the fellers name is Rasheed Abdullah Falaquin Mohoammed.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with you. On a side note my wife bought a gallon of weed killer (not Round Up) from Wal-Mart the other day and the directions for use were in Spanish. You had to pull the top label off to get to the English instructions. I thought that was kinda' odd. :confused: Later when she went to use it she had a fit. She couldn't figure out what proportions to mix. I let her rant for a while before I told her where to find the English instructions. :p She's one of those type A personalities. :D <br /><br />Dave

Twidget

Commander

You have hit on one of my pet peeves Boomyal. That really torques me off.<br /><br />On the name thing, I used to work with a Vietnamese guy whose name no one could pronounce, so he went by Michael. It made everyones life easier. :)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I agree, Boom.....<br />Don't even ask me that question....<br />& that goes for wasting my time on bank machines, too! :mad: :mad: :mad: .......JK

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If they can't pronounce my name, I hang up on them or leave if in their presence. I'm not going to sign anything from someone I can't understand. Sorta like shooting myself in the foot.

rwise

Captain

I agree with all, the illegals are taking over our country with there language and we must stop it! :mad: :mad: Even if we have to pass another stupid law!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Most places I do business with have it where english is the default language, you have to press a number to get to spanish. ATM machines the same, Wells Fargo defaults to english, you have to press another button to get another language, it is not asked of you.<br /><br />I dont blame them for doing it, why would you pass up on a customer?<br /><br />The root cause is the idiots who come over here and refuse to learn english. That is the insulting part and it boils my blood when I see it.<br /><br />As for the accents, I can imagine at some point in your familys history one of them was discriminated against cause they "spoke funny". Remember we are all immigrants. Except for "Bob" who works for tech support. :D <br /><br />Ken

18rabbit

Captain

Kind of interesting that msg about English as the dominate language was posted on the marquee board of the Casa D’ Ice, a foreign-named restaurant.<br /> :D

gonefishie

Commander

I have to call G.E tech support line from time to time and I always get Habib on the other end. Just imagine when you're already confused and you call up tech support and they get you even more confused because you can't really understand what they're saying especially in technical language.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

gonefishie, whats even funnier is that you know the Habibs are just as confused by our redneck or yankee accents. :D <br /><br />Next time you talk to them, change accents everyonce in a while and see if they notice.<br /><br />Ken

Twidget

Commander

My company turned down a contract for the reverse of that reason. As one of our tech guys in SC put it. "Can you imagine my hillbilly *** trying to explain programming to someone with an Indian accent?" I guess the higher ups actually listened, the bid never went in. :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

44 years ago, I used to frequent a popular Greek restaurant here. As is the case, the owners brought some relative here to work in the restaurant. I got to know him a little even though he spoke English that was barely discernible. <br /><br />Now, he lives 2 doors from me and retired from ownership of that restaurant. I see him occasionally and he speaks no better English now than 44 years ago. Why? I hear the family outside occasionally and they all are speaking Greek. <br /><br />If these folks from somewhere else would force themselves to speak English at home, they'd learn how, and we all would be happier.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

My favorite is telemarketers with accents that I can't understand..... :rolleyes: <br />They have a snowball's chance of getting past the first sentence ;) :D <br />Frankly, I don't care if you can't speak English, I just don't want to talk to you or deal with you if'n ya can't.....JK