'72 Merc 800...more questions

KT64TM

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry for all the posts, just not quite getting this thing.

rebuilt the carbs. Installed, test fired, vroom ran, shut it off. Its been raining incessantly the past 4 days. Tried to run it again at the boat ramp. Nada, not even w/ a shot of starter fluid. Pulled the dissy cap and had mucho water in it. sopped it up with a towel, small squirt of WD 40. Still won't fire. Plugs aren't wet, have spark. halp!!

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '72 Merc 800...more questions

Never use starter fluid on a two stroke. Get a spray bottle and use mixed fuel. If you have water in the distributor, then maybe there still is moisture there. You should take it apart, trigger and all, blow dry with air, and clean it, not just rely on wd. IF it ran before the rain, then, it should run after the rain. All thats happened is the electrical system got wet, as far as I know,so you have to find out the whats not right now, from the rain. I'd start at the distributor. Maybe some water got in the carbs too? maybe water in the fuel tank?
Look for the simple, thats all it should be.

KT64TM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree. I'm a lil gunshy to take apart the ignition system. I don't really have access to compressed air (except for canned dusters from OfficeMax.

I do believe some water got into the carbs (even w/ motor tilted) There was a lil milkshake residue on the grate covers.

My fuelpump kit arrives on the 16th. That my be my main issue.

I'll hold off on the Link N Sync till I talk to my cousin to see if he FUTZED with any of it. My 3 in 1 manual disk came in today, should be a HUGE help over the old MERC factory service manual. (outboardese, hard to decypher)

THanks for your response.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

If theres water in the trigger, and if it doesn't get dried right away, you will be relpaceing it. Time is of the essence.

KT64TM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

blew out the disty. gave it a try and it wants to start. still thinkin fuel pump as the bulb won't stay hard after trying to start it a few times. I'll let ya know after wednesday.

KT64TM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the throttle actuator assembly supposed to be able to rotate when the
disty is stationary?

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

The throtle will move once the distibutor is stopped by the max timing screw. If it dosen't, there is a grease fitting on the dist shaft, give it a shot of grease. IF the bulb doesn't get hard, either its the bulb, or the floats, or the fuel pump, or a fuel line leak.

KT64TM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did notice fuel dripping inside the cowling, right under the starter solenoid. Gonna be a !#% to replace that line. While I'm at it I'll replace all the crankcase return hoses and fuel lines.

After installing the carbs I pumped it up and watched for 5min, no drips. Saw rips from the top carb today. Could have been (shudder) starter fluid drippin down. I'll find something fun and creative to do with that stuff later ;).

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

If you "white hand squeeze the fuel ball pump, you can force fuel out of the carbs. ON a regular pump though, it should not. The ball will just get hard.