Firts Boat! Please help! Gale Sovereign 35

Chevydude

Cadet
I just joined this site because i got my first boat on fri 9-11. found it for cheap online and didn't even know what it was when i went to go get it. I could tell it was old but loved it. The guy that i got it from said it was abandoned on his property and wanted it gone. It had a motor, but it was laying in the grass about fifty yards away. I paid the man $100 and took both the boat on its trailer and the motor home. I wanted to trash the motor and use electric trolling motors untill i put the motoer on the boat and noticed how perfectly it all fit together. Turns out the boat is a Gale and looked to be pretty nice for its time. the motoer is a Gale Sovereign 35 modell 35DE12B. I looked it up on the internet and have come to the conclusion that is is a 1959deluxe electric. I need some advice on how to fix it. I made all of the obvious connections. Does anyone have a repair manuel or know about these boats and motors? How do I find out more about the boat itself? Does it have a VIN somewhere or a serial number? It is 13 feet long, has keyed ignition (i do not have the key) a speedo even a cigarette lighter. what is the first step? the name on the side of the boat is "Christy" if that helps. thanks for your help

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Firts Boat! Please help! Gale Sovereign 35

I just joined this site because i got my first boat on fri 9-11. found it for cheap online and didn't even know what it was when i went to go get it. I could tell it was old but loved it. The guy that i got it from said it was abandoned on his property and wanted it gone. It had a motor, but it was laying in the grass about fifty yards away. I paid the man $100 and took both the boat on its trailer and the motor home. I wanted to trash the motor and use electric trolling motors untill i put the motoer on the boat and noticed how perfectly it all fit together. Turns out the boat is a Gale and looked to be pretty nice for its time. the motoer is a Gale Sovereign 35 modell 35DE12B. I looked it up on the internet and have come to the conclusion that is is a 1959deluxe electric. I need some advice on how to fix it. I made all of the obvious connections. Does anyone have a repair manuel or know about these boats and motors? How do I find out more about the boat itself? Does it have a VIN somewhere or a serial number? It is 13 feet long, has keyed ignition (i do not have the key) a speedo even a cigarette lighter. what is the first step? the name on the side of the boat is "Christy" if that helps. thanks for your help

I've never heard of a Gale boat, and would kind of doubt that it is the same Gale that made the motor. Christy was the owner's girl friend's name. Is your state going to give you a bunch of grief when you go to get it titled?

Gale motors were made by Gale Products Division of OMC. You probably have heard of OMC--they made the Johnson and Evinrude motors. Your Gale is pretty much the same motor as 1957-58 Johnson and Evinrude. There are tons of info out there on the better-known brand names.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My aftermarket service manual covers the Evinrude Johnson and Gale motors in the same section.You may find a manual at the library.Service and parts are pretty much interchangeable.I believe the Gale used a single line fuel system with a fuel pump before J/E did.

Chevydude

Cadet

Are you sure Gale didn't make the boat? The name is built into all of the guages, the stearing wheel and even the radio. I'm going to try and look up more info on the boat by using the old registration numbers that are on the side. Last registered July '97.
Anyway. How do I go about getting the motor running? Should I hook a battery up to it, hotwire it and see what happens? This is my first boat and first outboard and while I have fixed my fair share of old trucks, this old Gale will be quite the learning experience for me. Any pros out there want to give me a tip or two?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Don't hot wire! Motor has a self generated ignition (magneto)
All you have to figure out is what wire is the kill circuit so you don't have to choke it to stop.Most of the older motors will stop if you simply reduce the throttle all the way.
I'm sure Gale didn't make the boat It was manufactured by a boat company and marketed through Gale. Just as Gale built many private label motors.
There is a "waking a sleeping outboard "sticky at the top of one of the
sections.
Most likely you need to go through the fuel system from tank to carb with attention to cleaning.
Typically when started without cleaning motor starts and runs but get progressively worse.A service manual is a must.

Chevydude

Cadet

Ok so no to the hotwire idea. Im going to get a manual this weekend. Thanks for the advise so far. I cant wait to get this resoration started. I am going to post some pics for you guys to see her. I like the name. I am going to fix and change more than a few things, but she will remain Christy. -Matt

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I resurected a 1960 Gale Soveriegn 60. With the help of the folks on here last year and Made it's maiden voyage this summer (well 5 weeks ago!).

There a several Boaters on here that "KNOW" whaty they are talking about don't take short cuts. I'm glad I followed their lead! The sticky about "awakening a sleeping outboard" will give you all the basics. and to say it again. Buy manual if you're handy it'll be the best $$ spent. If the motor turns out to be trashed maybe your book can help another.

I too am tinkerer and not very patient but I'm glad I learned we have so much fun even if only for a few hours. Some one here told me the motor was a bit thirsty... that is an understatement. but they were right to a tee.

You have all winter...I say go for it and have blast in the spring!!! and if your on the northern chesapeake (around the flats) we'll see you!

Scott

Search my user name and there are a couple of pics.

Chevydude

Cadet

Do I need to worry about getting a key or can I just use the pull start to start it after it is propperly taken apart and cleaned/rebuilt? Also where would a common place for the make and model of the boat itself be located? I need to find out what the boat is to get it regiastered.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do I need to worry about getting a key or can I just use the pull start to start it after it is propperly taken apart and cleaned/rebuilt? Also where would a common place for the make and model of the boat itself be located? I need to find out what the boat is to get it regiastered.

Unplug the big cable from the side of the motor, then you can pull start it. Does the boat have registration numbers on the sides of the bow? If it does, the state can look it up and see what it is and who owns it. But you might not want to know. Whoever owns it is who owns it. Whoever got your money got your money.

Chevydude

Cadet

True about the past owner. I actuall spoke with arizona Game and Fish am from what they told me and from what the seller told me about the boat and how he got it I am confident I can get the title. Besides, how can I use it with current registration? Thanks for the tip on the pull start. I am going to start taking it apart as soon as I get a manual and do a little research and a few parts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

True about the past owner. I actuall spoke with arizona Game and Fish am from what they told me and from what the seller told me about the boat and how he got it I am confident I can get the title. Besides, how can I use it with current registration? Thanks for the tip on the pull start. I am going to start taking it apart as soon as I get a manual and do a little research and a few parts.

You are lucky you are in Arizona. Here in Florida you would be out of luck without resorting to some shady practices. They didn't even want to give me a tag for a used trailer that I bought because the name on the bill of sale didn't match the one on the previous registration. Not only that, but I had a paper trail that included the previous owner previous to the previous owner. And that even though Florida doesn't title trailers!!!!

Somebody once said that the only ones surviving the rat race will be the rats.

Chevydude

Cadet

I spoke with AZ Game and Fish again. I gave them the numbers on the side of the boat and they were fake. somebody put them on there so they could use it. Got alot of good news though. The decal on it is real and belongs to the boat. AZ G&F said the last time the boat transfered ownership was in 1974 and since the numbers on it are fake, there is now way to find the previous owner. Made friends with one of the ladies there and she said I need to bring it in for inspection. After that, shes all mine.

Now to begin the repair. I am going to take it apart clean EVERYTHING replace fuel lines, rebuild the carb and so on. I hear everybody say "Check and clean the points" what are "points" and how do i clean them?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I spoke with AZ Game and Fish again. I gave them the numbers on the side of the boat and they were fake. somebody put them on there so they could use it. Got alot of good news though. The decal on it is real and belongs to the boat. AZ G&F said the last time the boat transfered ownership was in 1974 and since the numbers on it are fake, there is now way to find the previous owner. Made friends with one of the ladies there and she said I need to bring it in for inspection. After that, shes all mine.

Now to begin the repair. I am going to take it apart clean EVERYTHING replace fuel lines, rebuild the carb and so on. I hear everybody say "Check and clean the points" what are "points" and how do i clean them?

Please don't take offense, but if you don't know what points are, you certainly do need that manual you said you are going to get. The manual should explain the theory of how the magneto works. Oversimplified, the points are switches that tell the magneto when to fire a spark. They are between the trashed in this picture. The little can-like things with the wire coming out the top are the condensers

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

Chevydude

Cadet

None taken! Like I said before, this is my first boat and first outboard and I am going to need all the help I can get. And yes I know I definetly need a manual. Thanks for the help and the pics.

Chevydude

Cadet

A common problem here in Arizona is that peopple work on and repair their boats down in the valley with a low elevation and when they taked their boats up north to use in the high altitude, their motors dont work as well or sometimes dont run at all. They elevation of the valley is pretty low and the good fishing lakes are about 7000ft. Is there anyting I can do durring the rebuild to prevent this? Is it as simple as adjusting the carb depending on the elevation it is being used at? I will be starting build along post to show my progress on my old boat (still dont know what kind of boat it is). While the motor is being workied on i am going to repair the fiberglass bottom and paint. Any tips?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A common problem here in Arizona is that peopple work on and repair their boats down in the valley with a low elevation and when they taked their boats up north to use in the high altitude, their motors dont work as well or sometimes dont run at all. They elevation of the valley is pretty low and the good fishing lakes are about 7000ft. Is there anyting I can do durring the rebuild to prevent this? Is it as simple as adjusting the carb depending on the elevation it is being used at? I will be starting build along post to show my progress on my old boat (still dont know what kind of boat it is). While the motor is being workied on i am going to repair the fiberglass bottom and paint. Any tips?

We sure don't have any mountains down here in the swamp, but as I understand it, all you have to do is readjust the carburetor. Be glad that it has an adjustable carburetor. Even when readjusted, it won't have as much power at high altitude. Neither do people.

Chevydude

Cadet

ok, Im taking the boat in for inspection on wednesday. Thanks to you guys I know alot about the motor but nothing about the boat. How do I go about finding the boat manufacturer? It is driving me crazy not knowing who made it and what model it is, believe it or not, im actually loosing sleep over it. internet serches have turned up nothing and i dont know what else to do. There is tons of info on my 35de12b but not a word on the boats that came with them.........

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, Im taking the boat in for inspection on wednesday. Thanks to you guys I know alot about the motor but nothing about the boat. How do I go about finding the boat manufacturer? It is driving me crazy not knowing who made it and what model it is, believe it or not, im actually loosing sleep over it. internet serches have turned up nothing and i dont know what else to do. There is tons of info on my 35de12b but not a word on the boats that came with them.........

The Coast Guard has a place on thier site where you can look up the manufacturer. Somewhere on your boat should be a hull id number. Usually upper right hand side of the transom [back of the boat].

Don't be surprized with what you find. My boat was made in Spokane,WA by Apollo. This according to the id tag inside the boat.
When I looked it up by hull id, I was informed that it was made by Armada Manufacturing in KY. It goes on from there bout the mergers and closing of the different manufacturers.:confused:

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

For year Sears Roebuck & Co marketed sporting goods under the J.C. Higgins brand and Ted Williams. Most of the mfg's were well known but others were not so well known. You may never find out who made your boat but if it's solid and floats who cares. If anyone asks just say it's a Gale (which it is) and most won't even question who the actual mfg was.

Pretty slick getting to know one of the ladies you devil you.

Luck ya'll

Chevydude

Cadet

Well guys its official. I went down to Game and Fish today to get the title of the boat. I expected to get the run around or do mountains of paper work but it must have benn my lucky day. In about twenty minutes I walk out the door with the tiltle to Christy. The manufacturer is unknown so she is now a Gale, model:Christy. With title in hand i am now ready to begin the restoration. As soon as this posts, Im going to Kencook.com to order the service manual to my Sovereign 35. Will be starting a build along post to show the progress and of course ask all you guys for help, lol. Thanks in advance and stay tuned....