Starcraft Windshield Replacement

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello All,
I bought my 16' 1978 Starcraft SS Deep-V a little over 3 years ago and have been fixing things up along the way. After purchasing it I replaced the deck, consoles, and transom. However, I never liked the windshields that came with the boat and have been searching, although not very hard, for some thing different. The windshilds that came with the boat were mismatched and looked OK upon first glance but upon looking closely you could really tell and it just bothered me.

Fast forward 3 years and I finally came across a guy on craigslist that was parting out an old fiberglass open bow trihull that had a walk thru windshield. I called the guy right away and was told there was another guy coming over to look at it and that whom ever got there first could have it. Well long story short, I got there first and came away with the windshield, steering wheel and a few ishing pole holders for $50.00. Total score as every windshild I have seen on eBay have been running around $250.00 + shipping.

Anyway, I thought I would post up some before and after pictures for everyone to see. I am more of a get at it and get it done kinda guy so I do not have pictures of the entire process. I just get busy and forget the take the dang pictures. But, I did take a enough for everyone to see that it definatly looks 100% better.

Before the install. Notice they are mismatched! the one on the left I believe is original Starcraft.
boat_windshield_install_001.jpg

Left Side Before
boat_windshield_install_004.jpg

Right Side Before (drivers)
boat_windshield_install_005.jpg

Stern Before

boat_windshield_install_006.jpg

More to follow

ddrieck

Re: Starcraft Windshield Replacement

Stern side during
boat_windshield_install_007.jpg

Bow Side During
boat_windshield_install_009.jpg

Stern Side During
boat_windshield_install_010.jpg

More to follow

ddrieck

Stern Side After
boat_windshield_install_013.jpg

Right Side After (drivers)
boat_windshield_install_014.jpg

Left Side After
boat_windshield_install_015.jpg

And Finally a side by side before and after.
before_-_after_--_winshield.jpg

If you look close there is still an area in the bottom outside corner of each windshield that I still need to figure out what to fill them with. Turned out the boat I got them from had about a 4'' wider beam that mine. But all in all I thing it turned out looking 100% better than it was.

I still need to reinstall my switch panel, it goes right in front of the control center and just below the dsh panel. I put it there to try and keep as much water off it as possable since I went the cheapy route and bought a non-water proof switch panel.

Hope ya'll enjoy the pictures!!

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice job! it's always fun to give the boat a facelift and add something new.

bet it even RUNS better now!

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great!

There are some amazing deals out there on Craig's list, you just have to be patient.

-BAproject

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

did you lower the windshield?