Do you think this 16' boat could handle puget sounds chop?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've never seen the chop get over 3' max. It has a closed bow.... but looking closely the sides don't seem very high. Too much risk of swamping? I've been intending to get a 16' or better aluminum boat for fishing and crabbing, and this seems like a good fit.

3n13m33of5Q25Pc5Se99df1e3579d9f2315c1.jpg

3m13oc3l15O55Q45S699d072bca064e0e1659.jpg

Do you think this boat can handle it? It's a 16' 1981 mirrocraft Mr. Muskie.

The guy says the 35hp evinrude motor was just overhauled and tuned up, and it runs great. He also installed new floors and seats. The bilge pump isn't working, and its unknown if the depthfinder is.

He's asking 2800 obo, is that a decent deal?

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do you think this 16' boat could handle puget sounds chop?

$2800 i think is to much..... maybe 2000 maybe.... close to 1500 it is were me....

but it would make a nice fishing boat.

P3_sailor

Cadet

Which part of the Sound are you talking about. I take my 19' out mostly between Whidbey and Camano and the chop isn't to bad. That said if it's really windy I don't go out because I know the chop is going to be bad. The chop really never gets above 2 feet or so but it makes for a bumpy ride. Worst I've had it out in was 3 or 4 feet over by Poinel Pt and I turned myself around and got back to the ramp, wont do that again. I've seen quite a few boats smaller than the one you're asking about out there and they don't seem to have problems with it. I think that it's really going to depend on where you'll be using it. If the waters are fairly protected then you should be fine, out in the main channel between Admiralty inlet or up by the San Juans might be a different story though. Hope this helps. Disclaimer, I'm a newby so others on this board are probably wiser than me.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not familiar with Puget Sound....but my guess is it will depend on the weather/chop each day - how far you are going from more protected water, etc.

People take 10' row boats into the ocean on calm days - but then again, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior and that boat was, like, 700 feet long.

I have a 17' boat I take into Lake Ontario - but only for near shore fishing, and only on calm days. I can be back into a bay within 15 minutes if the waves kick up..

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked it out and it's not a worthwhile boat. The outboard is shot- it died once then suddenly started making odd noises, lost power, and only managed to move at 10 mph maxed out. The trailer is badly rusted with a coat of black paint to try to cover it. The new floors were a hackjob, with unevenly cut bits of carpet and random jagged strips all over the place. The hull itself had rust, badly faded paint, and looked in rough cosmetic shape. I think it probably leaks, since the old floors were soft in certain areas and they didn't leak test the thing to see if that was causing it.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

So you have made your decision and it sounds like a good one. For future reference, I think this type of boat is too small for your intended purpose for all but the calmest of days. This is a lake boat.

I have been out near Gig Harbor on a day with about a 2 1/2 foot chop in my 20' cuddy and was getting spray over the windshield. My friends were completely soaked in their 17.5' bowrider.

There are small boats designed to take that sort of chop. Look for one and you will be a lot more happy, dry and safe.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a used project Arima Seahunter for the sound. I am doing a lot of work on it now. I hope to do be able to do a Christmas cruise before the year is out.

An Arima would be a excellent boat for the sound. I am doing work on the steering, outboard, and trailer. Takes lot's of time. They are not cheap, but they are good at handling the weather for a smaller boat. I have seen them on Craigslist for under $5000, mine was $2750 but he wanted $3750. It had lot's of things that needed work and he took my offer.

Forgot to add that mine is a 15' 1/2 foot boat. Maybe I will see you out there some day. I'm in Everett, WA.

Last edited:

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go bigger than that. 16' boat in 3' chop will not be enjoyable. Plus 35hp would be to small for me. Also that price is high even if it did check out. I would give serious thought to going bigger. I have never heard someone stating that they wish they had a smaller boat. Heard lots of people wishing they had bought bigger ;-)

gss036

Commander

As long as you are down around Everett and that area, even the 15 1/2 Arima is too small. I had friend with one, it handles the waters if not too bad, but it really gets slapped around and bumpy and very wet. Makes an excellent fishing platform for smooth water.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in the everett area.. mukilteo really, and don't really plan on going out when the chop is over 2 feet or so anyways. Won't be trying to fish the san juans or anything like that regularly.
hope i do see you, but that one day is probably still a whiles off lol. It's been about 4 months and I still haven't seen anything reliable for under 4k.

gss036

Commander

If you are going to be fishing in that area, the 1st order of business is a good GPS w/charts. I was in that area and have a Loran w/chart, still got turned around and found myself all the way over to Whidbey Is. That convinced me the buy a Garmin w/blue chart system, even if you don't know where you are heading, at least you know where you are in relation to the islands and buoys, etc. I normally launch at Everett come out the channel by the ferry docks and have way points fairly close all the way out and back in. Seeing you live there, you know how bad the fog is there. It is possible to go out and never see land all day.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

how bout a 32" ocean goer like this might be a bit much for ya though
$2200 Cl your area http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1472341999.html
twin chevy diesels....

Id post the pics but they are real big, actually this boat looks pretty cool and would definetly be a serious Puget boat in all weather.......Ill resize and post 1

heres the ad by the way it was last licensed in 2007 so it may well run fine!!!!!!!!!!

1965 TOLLYCRAFT EXPLORER EXPRESS 32' - This boat was donated to us as-is. We are not certain as to whether the boat runs because all batteries are dead. This boat is being sold as-is, where is. We have a clear, Washington State title in hand. It is currently in dry moorage at Dagmars Marina. This is transferrable and runs about $200 per month.

Here is what we know:

Twin 350 GM Diesels
M6502 Twin Disc Gear Box
Plywood and Fiberglass Hull
Princess Range, No Oven
Sleeping for 6
Because we know very little about the boat, we are asking a price well below market value according to comparables found in print and online media. We believe the boat is in fair structural condition, but needs significant cosmetic attention and assume it needs some mechanical work.

$2,200 Or 1st Best Offer

Attachments

• IMG_4365b.jpg
    IMG_4365b.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll take it. That is a lot of boat for $2k. Doesn't appear to be in to bad of shape to me. I bet if someone put in some new batteries etc you could get those engines running. Plenty of size, weight and power to handle some pretty rough days. If I had room for it and a way to move it I would buy that thing and drop a bit into it just to see if I could get her running again.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't want a project boat at all. Sellers always underestimate the damage and the boats always look better in pics than in real life. If project boats are anything like project cars, I'd buy a 2k dollar boat and put 8k dollars into it before it's in running shape. Most 30+ year old glass boats are rotted out. How much would it cost to do an engine rebuild, replace all the old foam and stringers, and the deck? Probably new paint and gel coat too.