Artificial bait Vs fish food

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This question is for experience anglers ... lol I often use a Yum or Gulp artificial crawfish for fishing bass and I add a trout nugget at the end of the hook for two reasons. First to hide the tip of the hook and second in hope to have an additional attractant for the fish.

In your opinion what attracts fish most in my setup. The rubber crawfish or the trout nugget food ? Or the combinaison of both ? Tx

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Artificial bait Vs fish food

Definetely the crawfish because that what bass eats not trout food. Why don't you texas rig the crawfish? it's weedless so you don't have to hide the hook and kill the action of the crawfish.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Definetely the crawfish because that what bass eats not trout food. Why don't you texas rig the crawfish? it's weedless so you don't have to hide the hook and kill the action of the crawfish.

Sounds like a plan. Tx

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nevertheless and oddly enough, I mount the yum crawfish with the hook sticking out on top and that is where I place the trout nugget. Most of the time the nugget is bitten off and is missing while the rubber crawfish remains untouched.

gonefishie

Commander

Are you sure it didn't fell off as you dragged it on the bottom? If it was bitten off then it was probably bluegill. Did you feel some quick "tap, tap" when it was bitten off? I can guarantee you that when a bass see a crawfish, he won't bite just part of the rig. One "tap" and the whole thing is gone.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This situation happened many times as I was still fishing ... a good bite ... then the trout nugget is gone ... after a few times adding a nugget I normaly end up catching the fish ... and most of the time it's a small mouth.

As far as these Berkley trout nuggets is concerned I use them as a piece of worm replacement. I find the Gulp maggots to be just as good .. (if not better) as an add-on to the hook.

I know a crawfish is to a bass ... what a steak is to a cowboy ... lol but I see nothun wrong with a little help from a maggot ... LOL

gonefishie

Commander

I don't know, maybe you're on to something. Personally, I wouldn't put anything on the hook point because it greatly affects the hookset. Next time that giant comes up out of the water and spits the lure back at you. You'll know what I'm talking about. ;)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Live crawfish don't need a trout nugget and they outfish a piece of plastic every day of the week.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Live crawfish don't need a trout nugget and they outfish a piece of plastic every day of the week.

I heard that ... lol but they cant be kept in my takle box permanently as Gulp or Yum craw can ... lol

But I buy that and I"ll be checking on their availability in my area Tx