trailer wiring routes

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am re-wireing a boat trailer. I currently have working lights but the wires are un-protected and are attached to the frame by various techniques (i.e. zip ties, metal clips, plastic sticker hooks etc.) What is the proper way to route the wires and secure them to the trailer. I would love to run pvc or equivilent against the inside of the frame to the connections but the frame is intrupted along the way with cross braces at perpendicular angles. There is aluminium flex pipe at home depot that I saw but how would you attach to the trailer? At the rear, there are holes drilled in the top of the frame for wires to run upwards toward the lights. I do plan on putting gromets at these location but it does appear to be more exposed wire that I would think would be healthy for the wiring system. This is only a small part of the boat rebuild process but I want to do things right. Any help or direction toward proper documentation would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!

Nathan

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trailer wiring routes

The best route is "inside" the frame, not along side it. If you are using split tubine or conduit of some sort, you attach it to the frame with cable clamps. But that is way more work that running the wires inside the frame rails.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just route the wiring inside the frame attached by some sort of clip. Conduit or other tubing will tend to collect water. Why use it to possibly add troubles later?

MRS

Commander

Just route the wiring inside the frame attached by some sort of clip. Conduit or other tubing will tend to collect water. Why use it to possibly add troubles later?

This is true why make more work for your self. If you do a clean job and do not see wires hanging down it is good to go.....

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

my wiring kit came with clips that you pass the wires thru, then clip onto the frame. It even said in the instructions how many clips per side I should use. I then went and got more clips and went waaay overboard with it, but thats just me.

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best route is "inside" the frame, not along side it. If you are using split tubine or conduit of some sort, you attach it to the frame with cable clamps. But that is way more work that running the wires inside the frame rails.

Can you describe cable clamps? I am not familar with what they are or how they would attach to a frame. As far as running it inside of the frame, the frame is an open channel in the shape of a "C". The cross members are "c" channels also that butt up against the channels with no way of linear access without drilling a hole through the frame. I just don't want to compromise the structural integrity of the frame. I'll try to get some pictures later on today to better describe the delima.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

These are cable clamps. There are hundreds of variations of these. There are metal equivalents, metal with a rubber coating, etc. They come in a large number of sizes and styles and shapes but the principle is the same. Slip them over the wire and use a sheet metal screw to secure them to the frame. Since your trailer frame is a "C" channel (structural steel by the way) there are metal clips that simply clip to the edge of the channel. They are made of spring steel and have teeth that bite into the metal to keep them from coming off. You will most likely find those in the automotive dept of a farm store or at any auto store like NAPA or O'Reily, etc.

Cableclamp.jpg

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am tempted to put conduit along the inside of the channel, drape the wires over the cross members and securing the conduit with hose clamps and small galvanized bolts through the bottom with the locknuts inside the channels. Leaving the ends of the conduit open should leave enough room for water drainage as not to rot the wires with standing water. And then rubber grommets and spiral plastic wire protectors should do the trick toward the back up to the lights. Thoughts?

Jeep Man

Commander

I am tempted to put conduit along the inside of the channel, drape the wires over the cross members and securing the conduit with hose clamps and small galvanized bolts through the bottom with the locknuts inside the channels. Leaving the ends of the conduit open should leave enough room for water drainage as not to rot the wires with standing water. And then rubber grommets and spiral plastic wire protectors should do the trick toward the back up to the lights. Thoughts?

Conduit will pick up water and other crap over time. I like to use 14 gauge rubber sheathed outdoor rated extension cable (SJOOW), 3 conductor up each side which gives a wire for running light, brake/signal light and ground. If you can run inside the frame, do so. Otherwise run on the inside of the channel and secure with heavy plastic clips or rubber coated metal ones. It will last longer than the frame. Should be available at any Lowe's, Home Depot, or local electrical supply. Use solder and heat shrink for all connections.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

honestly, the simpler is better. the wires are not really at risk for damage strung along the frame (I say this from many, many years of experience). accessibility for roadside troubleshooting in the dark is a real good idea.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

honestly, the simpler is better. the wires are not really at risk for damage strung along the frame (I say this from many, many years of experience). accessibility for roadside troubleshooting in the dark is a real good idea.

yup and pretty much as stated, follow the K.I.S.S rule.
getting way to techcical here, just go to walmart for the light kit and follow directions.
the kit will last longer than you will want.