water pump question weak pee stream on a 140 V4

bushgator

Cadet
We just put a new impeller in the water pump when we put another lower unit on my 140 v4 johnson I did notice with the hose on the ears when flushing it out that it dont pee as fast as it does in the lake or gulf is this ok or could something be clogged up somewhere from running it in the gulf the other day, I was just out side flushing it this morning and noticed this. I just thought it should be pissing pretty firm like I watch it doing when in the lake. Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pump question weak pee stream on a 140 V4

Check the head temperatures. That will tell you if enough water is getting up there. Tell Tale on my 140 HP is not the greatest and never has been but the head temperatures are just fine. (140 to 160 F) is where you should be.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

One more thing after reading your post again. You may not have enough water volume with the muffs.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If this is the 1984 140 crossflow, you should have a good steady stream from the tell tale.

It's easy for a little debris to clog the tell tale outlet fitting at the engine because the ID is only 1/8 inch, so you might try cleaning that and the hose with a piece of large monofilament like that used on weed eaters.

Also check that the water inlet screens on the gearcase are in good condition; if they are not, particles get past and can damage the water pump and clog the thermostats and the tell tale.