Rotten Stringers/bulkhead/transom

Knotenuftime

Cadet
I have a 1991 Wellcraft 2600 Coastal that recently had the exhaust collector or "Y" as it is commonly known replaced because of a leak that rapidly filled the bilge while 50 miles offshore. The engines are 2007 4.3L Vortecs and it was discovered that the 2 inboard and 2 outboard stringers were rotten all the way to the aft bulkhead which was rotten 1/3rd of the way up. So after removal of second engine and removal of stringers it was discovered that the transom was wet. Now I've decided to go ahead and have the work done( will post some pics later) and the 2 outbrd stringers have rot forward of the aft bulkhead. My question is because of the difficulty in getting to these areas, are these 2 stringers crucial in the seawortiness of this boat or is most of the stress in the engine area and aft of the rear bulkhead. As you can imagine this is a major deal and all suggestions would be appreciated so far I am at 11k.

marife

Cadet
Re: Rotten Stringers/bulkhead/transom

By following your description it appears you should not go near the water. Major repair, pull engine replace/repair transom & stringgers.

45Auto

Commander

The stringers carry the longitudinal loads in the boat - they keep the bow and stern from bending upwards or downwards so the boat doesn't look like a banana. If you only repair the stringers up to the bulkhead, you will have a huge stress concentration at the bulkhead when the waves try to bend the boat. It will be stiff behind the bulkhead and the hull will flex at the bulkhead. It would be the equivalent of cutting a deep notch in a piece of wood or fiberglass, then trying to bend it - it's going to break at the notch.

I wouldn't even consider trying to cheap out and avoid completely repairing the stringers, especially in something you're going to be taking 50 miles offshore ......

Knotenuftime

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I have since decided to do exactly what yall suggested. I will post pics soon. I cant tell you what a relief it is to have this forum and people who are willing to help with a suggestion or invaluable experience.