can I just reinforce rotten deck areas and stringers--Pictures added

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Ok, starting from the top, I was just going to repaint the old boat, after lifting off the Outboard I found the transom fiberglass cracked and dented in. Cut out some fiberglass and found on the starboard side I could put my finger through it. couldn't get the deck off so I cut out the splash well removed the transom. Now I find under the deck rotten in areas behind the fish wells and waterlogged foam. can I just clear out the rotten wood bleach it, double up the stringers in the soft areas and replace the foam, or do I have to tear everything out and go completely new? Here are some pictures of what it looks like I circled the areas in question.
TransRemovedCircled.jpg

DeckCircled.jpg

My biggest problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the whole deck.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: can I just reinforce rotten deck areas and stringers

You need to rip out all the water logged foam, deck and stringers and replace them if you want to do the job right. Did you cut the entire rear of the boat off? If you did, thats way out of my skill level haha. Best wait for oops or one of the other big dogs around here to reply.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

You need to rip out all the water logged foam, deck and stringers and replace them if you want to do the job right. Did you cut the entire rear of the boat off? If you did, thats way out of my skill level haha. Best wait for oops or one of the other big dogs around here to reply.

I was afraid of that. I already ripped out the water logged foam, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the deck it appears to be intergrated with the hull.

I did rip the whole transom out, it was not my original intent, I have already started to install the new one, glassing the outside first and wrapping it about a foot around all sides and bottom of the boat here is a pic.

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG0.jpg

I hope I am not messing up, this is a learn as you go for me.

Bill

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure how to tackle that transom haha, I would wait and see if oops replies, hes the guy that cut his boat in half and extended it. He will prob be able to give you some good pointers on strengthening up that rear wall. Either way it looks good so far!

.... I can't seem to figure out how to remove the deck it appears to be intergrated with the hull.....

Getting the deck out should be small potatoes compared to removing and repairing the rear transom skin. Figure out where the plywood stops and the hull begins. Set a circular saw to cut just a hair shallower than the plywood and work your way around the perimeter, then cut the deck into squares that are easy to remove. Also, a grinder with a diamond wheel is good for cutting through the fiberglass right at the edge of the deck, then chip out any remaining wood with a wood chisel. It's not rocket science, just tedius and meticulous work.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Getting the deck out should be small potatoes compared to removing and repairing the rear transom skin. Figure out where the plywood stops and the hull begins. Set a circular saw to cut just a hair shallower than the plywood and work your way around the perimeter, then cut the deck into squares that are easy to remove. Also, a grinder with a diamond wheel is good for cutting through the fiberglass right at the edge of the deck, then chip out any remaining wood with a wood chisel. It's not rocket science, just tedius and meticulous work.

That's what I was thinking of doing but even though I cut out and am installing the new transom I was hesitent about cutting the deck.
It was my father-in-laws boat and my wife is kinda cringing and looking at me with a crooked eye with seeing it in peices

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Is there a rub rail? Have you looked under the rub rail? That is where boats are attached together. I would spend time and read through this forum and head the advice from people that have performed proper repairs. NO ONE here is trying to sell you anything and there is no other place on the internet that carries this much information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392 <<<< that is about a 2-3 hr homework assignment chocked full of great info

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Is there a rub rail? Have you looked under the rub rail? That is where boats are attached together. I would spend time and read through this forum and head the advice from people that have performed proper repairs. NO ONE here is trying to sell you anything and there is no other place on the internet that carries this much information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392 <<<< that is about a 2-3 hr homework assignment chocked full of great info

thanks for the reply, WOW what a rebuild Oops performed that was verry impressive work. did I have actually been reading threads for the past few weeks now, between the wealth of info I picked up on this site and some info I have gotten from a friend of mine who has been down this road a few times before it guided me through to where I am now.
I have the boat in my shop, I originally started by removing the rub rails and all screws cause I thought that was all that was needed to do to hoist it off. on closer examination I see the boat is actually 3 peices, the deck itself seems to be molded in place, and wraps around some of the stringers on the boat, in other places I see pop rivets where the sections meet, it looks like a convoluted mess unlilke what I have seen in pictures here or anywhere else.

Tomorrow is another day I plan on looking at it with a new set of eyes and see if I can figure out where the seperations actually are

Bill