Trim gauge? power trim not working right?

BlueBayouV8

Cadet
Id there any common reason as to why my trim gauge does not work. It moves but is way off. when it is trimed down, and i bump it up, the gauge goes all the way up when i only moved it a half an inch? i know there is sensors on the out drive? could they be bad? also my power tilt only moves up, and my trim only moves down... I can run it like this, but it seems wrong. The switches are good. There are 2 solenoids on the trim pump, is ont for up and one for down, or is one for tilt, and one for trim? any help would be great. Thank you

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trim gauge? power trim not working right?

what outdrive do you have? the senders they never work right usually99.9% just replaced mine after not working for 2yrs(never needed it just trim by feel) when i replaced my gimball bearing. worked fine for one day now i get the same reading either all way up or down. POS mrc/quicksilver parts. try re adjusting it if the same bad sender more likely corrosion inside the sender 4 screws on the case will rveal your problem.

BlueBayouV8

Cadet

sweet thanks.. it is an 898 Mercruiser drive. Il look tomorrow. I have to adjust my shift cable too. it needs to go another quarter inch to get into reverse. I can do it manually once i get the shifter down there, but that is kinda dangerous.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your lower cable is more than likely stretched and needs replacing. As for the trim senders it's very common for the insulation to rot off the wires and short them out. When replaced and adjusted properly your guage will work the way it should. Since I replaced mine the guage has been spot on.

BlueBayouV8

Cadet

by lower cable you mean shift cable right?... This is my First I/O..

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

correct. Unless some one has moved it out of the original adjustment there should be no need to adjust it. Once you start having problems it's time to replace it.

BlueBayouV8

Cadet

well you see... I did take it off and mess with it when i was trying to get the shifter to line up when i had the lower unit off.. I did mark were it was. I'l try to put it back there first, and see if that does it... Thanks again.. about how much do those trim sensors run?