Motor hard to start and then wont shut off Johnson 140 V4

bushgator

Cadet
We just spent a lot of money on rebuilding the carburetors and rebuilding the fuel pump, new starter and another lower unit new impeller in water pump, and today a new ignition switch all because it was sucking air when we would throttle up to go it would act like it had water in the gas, but after an expensive lesson we learned it was sucking air at the end of the bulb gas line going into the engine. So I hope this will save someone else some money before you go and start rebuilding everything on the engine :)
Now all that... I have to use the choke device on top of the motor because the it wont turn over with the key when we try to start it but when it is running it great but when it is time to shut it off turn the key off and the motor keeps running, when we turn the key to the on position it kind of jumps up a notch in power like it is only shutting down one pack or side ..
Can someone tell me what to do or what it could be I thought it was the ignition switch. the way I have to shut it off is the same way we have to use that orange lever (choke ) to start it we just turn it the 30 degrees to the left then it will shut down or flood itself out.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Motor hard to start and then wont shut off Johnson 140 V4

you need to check your ground wire for your key switch..probably loose or corroded where it attaches to the motor..I had the same problem recently..brought a new switch only to find out the ground wire connection in the motor had come apart.

Good Luck..Sparkie

bushgator

Cadet

Thanks for the reply....can you guide me to where it is located at on the motor?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Look for the two black with yellow striped wires leading to each powerpack from the engine end of the large red harness plug. They are within the four wire amphenol plugs attached to each powerpack.

The primer solenoid (you don't have chokes) needs to be activated by pushing the key in while cranking for a cold start. Make sure that the small red handle on the primer solenoid is aligned with and adjacent to the cylindrical part of the solenoid as shown.

Attachments

• Primer Solenoid.jpg
    Primer Solenoid.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0

bushgator

Cadet

I just put in a new red lever the one that turns ... is it suppose to turn in a 360 or is it suppose to stop at 180 degree I have been having to turn this dude a half turn on my cold starts....How come it does not work when the key is pushed in to prime and I have to do it by hand? and also is my key when pushed in to prime which is not working on a cold start and I just replaced the ignition switch is it suppose to be clicking at the primer solinoid?

SparkieBoat

Captain

if you have a switch grounding issue..your solenoid may not work...the big red wire connection where the wire harness comes from the control box, is where your ground wire comes from..follow your black wire or black with yellow stripe wires and make sure they are not broken or corroded at the connection.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The solenoid is grounded at the engine and gets the positive current from the ignition switch (C post) when you push in the key. This should open the valve if the solenoid is functional and if the wiring is good.

Opening the primer solenoid valve will allow some of the fuel that you have compressed with the primer bulb in your fuel line to flow directly to the intake manifold. If you hold the key in while cranking, the open valve will allow some of the fuel that is being compressed by the fuel pump to flow to the intake manifold.

The Red handle should be as shown on the typical primer solenoid in the thumbnail for normal running, and turned 90 degrees for emergency use.